1 Qatar Jobs .com The First Place to Find a Job in Qatar

Chat Exchange English / French In Paris ?

Chat exchange english / french in Paris ? Posted 26 December 2009
Hi guys !

First : please apologize my bad english but that's my point !

This message is for native english people (or fluent) who are currently living in Paris. I need to improve my english spoken and because of my job in Paris (copywriter), i can help you back to increase your french language : to speak, to write or anything else, fmy language has no secret for me.
Many french people are interested to chat with english people because we are soooo bad with language !!!

So is there people interested to get together in a bar and chat in english / french ?

Have a nice day
Louise
Louise
Paris Forums Starter

Re: Chat exchange english / french in Paris ? Posted 26 March 2010
you get get free language exchange here http://www.theparisienexpat.com many people want to do the same as you
ironfever
Paris Forums Visitor

Re: Chat exchange english / french in Paris ? Posted 08 April 2010
ironfever wrote:you get get free language exchange here http://www.theparisienexpat.com many people want to do the same as you

hi
i want to improve my english too
blueblooded
Paris Forums Starter

Re: Chat exchange english / french in Paris ? Posted 25 August 2010
hello :)))

I speak fluent english and i moved to paris 8 months ago to learn french,
I would veeery much like to learn more french in exchange for my english ;))
Sarah85
Paris Forums Starter

Re: Chat exchange english / french in Paris ? Posted 29 August 2010
Sarah85 wrote:hello :)))

Hi.
To live and work in Paris is a dream of mine, but I do not speak french... I was there for one month this summer and I really felt at home. I also have a godmother there so it's great. I've been thinking about going to Paris for six months next year (after I finish school) to learn the language, and later move there. For now I speak croatian, danish, english and spanish but none one them can be used in PS... Have you been going to school in Paris on lessons in order to learn french or? if so, can you recomend some? and what about the price?
Do you think that 6 months are enough when you go to school and live there, to learn to speak the language almost fluently?

If anyone else have some experience in this area you are welcome to anwer too :)
Bisou to all et merci.
DJJ
Paris Forums Starter

Re: Chat exchange english / french in Paris ? Posted 29 August 2010
DJJ wrote:
Sarah85 wrote:hello :)))

Hi.
To live and work in Paris is a dream of mine, but I do not speak french... I was there for one month this summer and I really felt at home. I also have a godmother there so it's great. I've been thinking about going to Paris for six months next year (after I finish school) to learn the language, and later move there. For now I speak croatian, danish, english and spanish but none one them can be used in PS... Have you been going to school in Paris on lessons in order to learn french or? if so, can you recomend some? and what about the price?
Do you think that 6 months are enough when you go to school and live there, to learn to speak the language almost fluently?

If anyone else have some experience in this area you are welcome to anwer too :)
Bisou to all et merci.

paris is an amazing city, but u'll get nowhere without speaking french. Unfortunately for me, because of the cost of living,I had to quit the language school after 4 months, but I am going back in january. however, the more u interact with the people the more you learn. if you're really commited and u go to a language school for 6 months i am suuuure u'll get a great start, depending on how much u use the french you learn you can walk out of a 6 month experience with a good knowledge.you should definately not do what I did, which is to interact mostly with english speakers..that way u fall into a comfort zone and u wont progress as much. I went to Accord, I really liked it there, the classes vary, i had standard beginners and paid 950 euros a month. the more intensive courses cost more.
Sarah85
Paris Forums Starter

Re: Chat exchange english / french in Paris ? Posted 30 August 2010
Sarah85 wrote:

paris is an amazing city, but u'll get nowhere without speaking french. Unfortunately for me, because of the cost of living,I had to quit the language school after 4 months, but I am going back in january. however, the more u interact with the people the more you learn. if you're really commited and u go to a language school for 6 months i am suuuure u'll get a great start, depending on how much u use the french you learn you can walk out of a 6 month experience with a good knowledge.you should definately not do what I did, which is to interact mostly with english speakers..that way u fall into a comfort zone and u wont progress as much. I went to Accord, I really liked it there, the classes vary, i had standard beginners and paid 950 euros a month. the more intensive courses cost more.

Waw, that's a lot of money for just one month... I can't afford that if I have to rent an apartment also :(
I have books, tracks on my ipod, french telly, family... maybe I should ask for their help :D But yes, the more intensive the courses are, the more they cost... I've heard. I know that french people are a lot like german: they understand english (some of them) they understand when you ask them something, but they still choose to answer you in their own language. They are very proud of their language, which I totally respect, but it can be a problem for tourists. Do you want to move to Paris permanently someday, or?
DJJ
Paris Forums Starter

DJJ wrote:
Sarah85 wrote:

Waw, that's a lot of money for just one month... I can't afford that if I have to rent an apartment also :(
I have books, tracks on my ipod, french telly, family... maybe I should ask for their help :D But yes, the more intensive the courses are, the more they cost... I've heard. I know that french people are a lot like german: they understand english (some of them) they understand when you ask them something, but they still choose to answer you in their own language. They are very proud of their language, which I totally respect, but it can be a problem for tourists. Do you want to move to Paris permanently someday, or?

That was exactly the problem, the price of the classes were INSANE, so I couldnt continue unless I found a job and left the school so that I could save up.
But, dont be discouraged, I hear there are other cheaper places to take classes, Im currently looking into that to see if there's any truth to it :)
Books, grammer books and conjugation books included, and french music really helps.. I find it helpful atleast. And yes, a lot of french natives understand english, but refuse to speak or even help you if you speak english. However, if you TRY to speak french, no matter how awful u think u sound, they always appreciate the effort and try to help as best as they can.
My plan is to stay in paris Until august 2011. After that I want to go to spain to learn spanish, and perhaps return to paris again.
Have you made up your mind about coming to Paris `? or still just thinking about it?
Sarah85
Paris Forums Starter

Sarah85 wrote:
That was exactly the problem, the price of the classes were INSANE, so I couldnt continue unless I found a job and left the school so that I could save up.
But, dont be discouraged, I hear there are other cheaper places to take classes, Im currently looking into that to see if there's any truth to it :)
Books, grammer books and conjugation books included, and french music really helps.. I find it helpful atleast. And yes, a lot of french natives understand english, but refuse to speak or even help you if you speak english. However, if you TRY to speak french, no matter how awful u think u sound, they always appreciate the effort and try to help as best as they can.
My plan is to stay in paris Until august 2011. After that I want to go to spain to learn spanish, and perhaps return to paris again.
Have you made up your mind about coming to Paris `? or still just thinking about it?

I have decided 100% to go there for at least 5 years and if everything goes well, I'll stay for longer. I really felt at home there, with my godmother there and some friends too who support me, I believe I can do it. I want to work in advertising, and I think Paris is the perfect place to do that.. But If it's gonna be next year I go or in 3 years depends on the money I'll save until then - and we all know how hard it is to find a job right now so I'm still struggling with that. ..

Btw. Im going to Barcelona in 3 weeks :) Spanish really helps me learning french, so I think if you know french perfectly, Spanish will not be a problem for you. The gramma is different, but a lot of the words are same, the only problem is that in french you have to swallow half of the letters, so I understand french a lot better when I read it than when someone speaks it.
DJJ
Paris Forums Starter

Re: Chat exchange english / french in Paris ? Posted 31 August 2010
I have decided 100% to go there for at least 5 years and if everything goes well, I'll stay for longer. I really felt at home there, with my godmother there and some friends too who support me, I believe I can do it. I want to work in advertising, and I think Paris is the perfect place to do that.. But If it's gonna be next year I go or in 3 years depends on the money I'll save until then - and we all know how hard it is to find a job right now so I'm still struggling with that. ..

Btw. Im going to Barcelona in 3 weeks :) Spanish really helps me learning french, so I think if you know french perfectly, Spanish will not be a problem for you. The gramma is different, but a lot of the words are same, the only problem is that in french you have to swallow half of the letters, so I understand french a lot better when I read it than when someone speaks it.[/quote]

Thats gonna be a huge help to you, already having somewhat of a social circle and people to lean on. When I came to paris I didnt know a SOUL. That usually makes things a bit trickier. But it helps to know people who already master the french language, that way u won't end up the way I did, making only english speaking friends and not practicing ur french during ur first months. thats a BIG mistake, and a big set back.
Paris is the center of advertising and arts and photography etc,.. and babysitting, lol. everyone needs a nanny here.

Yea thats what i was thinking, it has to be easier learning the other latin languages if you know ONE of them really well.
haha, soooo true, a 5 syllable word turns into a 2 syllable word when the speak it as opposed to when they write it. Written french is much easier to get.
Sarah85
Paris Forums Starter

Re: Chat exchange english / french in Paris ? Posted 01 September 2010
Sarah85 wrote:
Thats gonna be a huge help to you, already having somewhat of a social circle and people to lean on. When I came to paris I didnt know a SOUL. That usually makes things a bit trickier. But it helps to know people who already master the french language, that way u won't end up the way I did, making only english speaking friends and not practicing ur french during ur first months. thats a BIG mistake, and a big set back.
Paris is the center of advertising and arts and photography etc,.. and babysitting, lol. everyone needs a nanny here.

Yea thats what i was thinking, it has to be easier learning the other latin languages if you know ONE of them really well.
haha, soooo true, a 5 syllable word turns into a 2 syllable word when the speak it as opposed to when they write it. Written french is much easier to get.

I must admit that I admire you for wanting to go there, and doing it by yourself... Im not sure I would be brave enough to do it on my own. If I didnt know anyone there, I probably wouldnt do it. At least not before winning the lottery to be sure I had somewhere to live and something to eat :D.. Thats my biggest fear. Of course, I will try to do as much as I can on my own, but to have someone to talk to makes it much, much easier. How well did you speak french after 8 months in Paris? Did u rent an apartment or?
My cousin works as an real estate agent so he can help me when I get there... Life in paris is just very expensive... You really have to want it badly before deciding to move there.
DJJ
Paris Forums Starter

Re: Chat exchange english / french in Paris ? Posted 01 September 2010
DJJ wrote:

I must admit that I admire you for wanting to go there, and doing it by yourself... Im not sure I would be brave enough to do it on my own. If I didnt know anyone there, I probably wouldnt do it. At least not before winning the lottery to be sure I had somewhere to live and something to eat :D.. Thats my biggest fear. Of course, I will try to do as much as I can on my own, but to have someone to talk to makes it much, much easier. How well did you speak french after 8 months in Paris? Did u rent an apartment or?
My cousin works as an real estate agent so he can help me when I get there... Life in paris is just very expensive... You really have to want it badly before deciding to move there.

I understand that, Its a real gamble, but I did a little preparing before going. I rented a room for 4 months, through an agency before going, and I saved up a bit of money to get me through the first 4 months as well. Then after that I started looking for a cheaper studio apartment to rent, and I found one, and I stayed there until june. I went back home for the summer, and I just came back to paris, apartment hunting again.. ure ALWAYS braver than you think you are :) when I arrived I didnt even know a WORD, except Merci.. and thats the god honest truth. it was insaaanely difficult, but you evolve as you go along, I still have a lot to learn, but now I dont feel as naked as I did when I first came here. Finding a job in paris is prooving to be the toughest part, but I believe that still to be because of me not mastering the langauge 100% yet. So its been mostly nanny jobs and going to school so far, but I cant complain :)
Sarah85
Paris Forums Starter

Re: Chat exchange english / french in Paris ? Posted 07 September 2010
I've heard that it is more affordable in the end to rent a 3 room apartment than studio!?.. Strange. Guess you were lucky.
I've been thinking the last few days - Maybe it is smarter to wait moving there before I finish school. I can visit the city every holiday but I wont move yet. In 3 years when I finish my studies I'll go. I can take french courses in my city - Its cheaper :p Then I would also have more time to collect enough money to BUY an apartment. But you've most certainly been a great help. I really believe now that it is possible.
DJJ
Paris Forums Starter

Re: Chat exchange english / french in Paris ? Posted 15 September 2010
i can speak English fluently but can't speak French, even i have been there in Paris 4 to 5 times but still i couldn't learn french language. I want to speak french fluently as i speak English. Can i learn french language?
freak001
Paris Forums Starter

1 Qatar Jobs .com The First Place to Find a Job in Qatar

Return to Paris General Chat