1 Qatar Jobs .com The First Place to Find a Job in Qatar

When I Took A Flight Between New York And Paris Why Is The Flight Going In A Northward Curve?

When I took a flight between new york and paris why is the flight going in a northward curve? Posted 30 January 2011
Why are they heading so northward so as to reach greenland and then heading south to reach paris? Are trans atlantic flight paths always that way. Is there any navigational advantage?
Nienor-Niniel
Paris Forums Starter

Re: When I took a flight between new york and paris why is the flight going in a northward curve? Posted 30 January 2011
It is simply shorter flying across the north pole. Other reasons why are the following:

1) The earth is not a perfect ball but an ellipsoid. It is flatter on the poles, thus the way across the poles can be shorter than across the equator.

2) It is not very economical to fly against the wind so airlines try to avoid the jetstreams.

3) Airplanes have fixed routes. To the uninitiated it might look like there are no rules in the sky. However there are several "highways" the planes have to follow when they fly. It is a matter of safety. One of these highways (perhaps the busiest) goes northeast from New York to Greenland and then Europe.
Tar-Ciryatan
Paris Forums Starter

Re: When I took a flight between new york and paris why is the flight going in a northward curve? Posted 31 January 2011
shortest method down the 3D orb isn't the least amount way established in the map.

the shortest way from A to B on the exterior in the orb will be "great circle" associating both points.

to the particular extreme, think of exploring through US to Russia. your speediest technique goes over the actual north pole, definitely not east or westwards.
Josie
Paris Forums Starter

Re: When I took a flight between new york and paris why is the flight going in a northward curve? Posted 31 January 2011
The trip appears curved using a washboard map, but about the Earth, that is certainly a globe, it's actually a straight line, your shortest route between New York and also Paris. The northward necessities is usually an movie created by projecting a spherical concept including the Earth against a flat map.

In general, with most maps, your closer to the poles a particular flight passes, the more curved it is path will probably seems to be over a smooth map. Trips under the Equator will be direct lines. In every case, though, every one of these channels are basically straight wrinkles for the floor of the sphere such as Earth.
Tarondor-of-Gondor
Paris Forums Starter

As Techwing (above) says. And you will observe the outcome if you take a soccer shot or even baskets ball, bring your brand spherical the item along with imagine them being the equator. Now take a sheet of string round the item between two items each and every about 50 % approach involving the actual 'equator' as well as on the list of poles. As everyone make tighter your string you'll notice the item arc in the direction of the particular nearest scratching post appearing it's this least route. It's referred to as a 'great circle' track.
Arahad
Paris Forums Starter

Get a planet and a sheet of string. Start at NY and extend the stringed directly to be able to Paris. You will notice that this route fits pretty much just for the way that is definitely established using a flat map.
Hirluin
Paris Forums Starter

It has next to nothing related to any kind of wonder associated with your north scratching post or perhaps some sort of bunnyrabbit's tail.

Long-distance flights follow a range known as a new "great circle" route or "Rhumb line" surrounding the earth's surface.

Europe is usually rather a long way into the north in the US mid-atlantic. The latitude involving Paris can be 48 amounts twenty four units North, whereas NYC is usually 40 degrees 74 seconds North. So actually that the earth had been flat, you'll visit considerably northward to acquire from NYC to be able to Paris.

But the particular Great Circle route starts during a level higher northward angle. To visualize the Great Circle route, find some good string and a globe. Have someone keep the planet to get people if possible so as to create both the places practical in order to reach.

Now expand this string much coming from NYC that will Paris. Note the point of view where that stringed crosses your traces involving latitude in addition to longitude near the takeoff point. You will see who's is pretty an perspective toward this north. Then just like you choose along, them "levels out" plus actually is going southeast just like you in the vicinity of Paris.
Jaz34
Paris Forums Starter

The universe is usually round. Look using a entire world in the route.
LordSmall
Paris Forums Starter

1 Qatar Jobs .com The First Place to Find a Job in Qatar

Return to Paris Travel Forum