1 Qatar Jobs .com The First Place to Find a Job in Qatar

What Are Common Customs An American Should Know Of When Traveling To Paris, France?

What are common customs an American should know of when traveling to Paris, France? Posted 28 January 2011
In about a month, I will be traveling to Paris for about 10 days.
I know basic French from a class I took, and I'll definitely make sure to make communication as easy as possible, but I'm more interested in things like etiquette, hand gestures, etc.
What should I avoid doing so as not to be rude, and things like that.
Araglas
Paris Forums Starter

Re: What are common customs an American should know of when traveling to Paris, France? Posted 29 January 2011
To be honest, there's not much you need to know apart from that French are a good bit more reserved than Americans (I hope that doesn't sound stereotypical towards either). If you meet someone, they'll greet you by kissing you once on each cheek if you're a girl. If you're a guy, you kiss a girl once on each cheek but never a man, you shake his hand!
That's only if you're introduced to people or meet them and start talking to them or something. You don't do this to people in shops or anything lol.

If you can try your best to speak French (even though they'll most likely reply to you in English), it's a lot politer. If you were staying with a French family, there would be a lot more things you'd need to know...you haven't said whether you'll just be a tourist or what. If you were staying with a family, you usually take your shoes off before going into a house or just after you go into the house. Snacks aren't usually eaten, meals are very important. And so on. I won't go on about that because you're probably not staying with a host family.

As a tourist, and with Paris being a very touristy place, there really aren't many different things to know. In certain areas (like Montmartre for example - it's where the Sacre-Coeur is), street artists will try to push you into buying things. They'll say they'll draw your portrait for a special price - a price that's just for you of 30 euros or something. They say that to everyone...if you don't want your portrait drawn then just say no and walk on.

Make sure you know how to work the metro system. If you're comfortable with it then you can't really get lost. Though I'd advise on not taking certain lines late at night (the main ones are ok) as they can be a bit dodgey.

I can't really think of anything else, sorry but really there isn't that much to know in way of etiquette. Just try your best to speak the language despite the fact that they'll probably try to speak to you in English, remember that they're a bit more reserved so can sometimes be put off a bit by very loud people, and if you're introduced to people don't be shocked if they try to kiss you on each cheek lol.

Have a good time!
Paris is lovely!!
Vorondil
Paris Forums Starter

Re: What are common customs an American should know of when traveling to Paris, France? Posted 29 January 2011
Generally speaking the French are more formal than most Americans.

In everyday speech this means appending "s'il vous plâit" (please) to any request and mever failing to say "merci" (thank you). It means saying "je voudrais" (I would like) and not "donnez moi" (give me) when ordering from a menu. It means calling the waiter "Monsieur" and not "Garçon." It means greeting the staff at a shop with "Bonjour" (madam or monsieur as appropriate) before ordering something and saying "au revoir" (goodbye) when you leave.

The French tend to follow the older practice of not calling each other by first names or using the familiar (tu/vous) without at least some acquaintance (although this is not so much true of young people).

And while many more French people speak English than Americans speak French, you should always ask (parlez vous Anglais?) before simply speaking English to someone you don't know..

The easy presumption of friendship or the discussing of personal matters with relative strangers that is common in America is sometimes seen as boorish or crude by the French.

Americans in particular who will talk about the intimate details of their love lives, the state of their personal finances, and the cost of everything they own with someone they met ten minutes ago are, for that reason, regarded as utterly outré.

On the other hand, Americans, who have been taught to never discuss politics or religion, sometimes think they are being singled out for abuse when the French express their opinions on such matters. They are not, of course. they are simply engaging in the second most popular French indoor sport.

Dial back your personal volume control. The French are much quieter than Americans. Speaking in a loud voice or even loud enough that your conversation can be clearly understood by the people at the next table in a restaurant is bad form.

The French are also a bit put off by the big smile that Americans often seem to have plastered on their faces for no particular reason. The French see this as a sign of insincerity or perhaps even mild mental retardation.

In the same way that they don't appreciate loud talk the French tend to avoid loud colors. Try to pack clothing that is stylish but muted. Favor dark colors rather than bright ones. Likewise, any clothing that has some message on the order of "I'm with stupid" on it should stay in the drawer.

When in a cafe, which often seems the center of life in Paris, recall that Cafe au lait is only called that at breakfast. At other times it is "café crème " or "une crème." If ordering the a standard tiny cup of black coffee, sound like a native by calling for "un espress."

Asking for special preparation of food items is generally frowned on as is the practice of the "doggy bag."

By law, prices must be posted in the window of cafes. You will notice that there are usually at least two price levels. One is for service at the bar (le zinc) and the other for table service. It is cheating to buy a drink at the bar and then take a table to drink it at. But if you do buy something while at a table you can sit there for as long as you want without ordering anything else. One reason the prices are higher is that the cost accounts for the idea that it buys you the right to linger for as long as you like, reading a book, writing post cards or just sitting and wathcing the world go by.

Butter is served with bread only at breakfast and with the cheese course.

When you pay for something the person taking your money expects you to put it down, rather than taking it directly from your hand. Most places have a sort of tray on the counter expressly for this purpose.

When you're in a theater and have to go by someone to get to your seat always pass in front of them facing toward them, that is, away from the screen or the stage. It's very rude otherwise. Ushers in theaters, including movie theaters, should be tipped when they show you to your seat. A small coin is enough.

Although there are fewer and fewer of them with each passing year there are still public toilet facilities that have attendants. They should also be tipped.

When traveling on public transportation you'll notice little fold down seats close to the doors. These can be used until the subway car fills up. If and when it does become crowded you should stand up to make more room. You'll also notice that there are some seats which are identified as being for wounded war veterans, pregnant women etc. You may sit there but should give up your seat if someone in these categories needs it.

If you keep you eyes open, watch what others do, and bear in mind that even in the simplest things there can be differences, you'll do fine.

Bonne chance!
Fuinur
Paris Forums Starter

Usual question - usual replies -

How about those suggestions ? :

- when you go out of the metro hold the door for people coming behind you - not doing this is VERY rude - and typically non-french

- restrain wearing sport-shoes, unless you're planning
foot-touring in the city - in which case it's quite good - visiting churches have long trousers, women should cover their shoulders, navel, and head - Amen

- in private relations never speak about money, job, religion - Why ? because, french people killed each other in the past time, because of money, social status and religion.
So a major key in french attitude is to act in order to erase
unequalities in inter-personal links . In France, to be rich is not a sin, nor a virtue - just think of hiding your golds -otherwise you'll be mercilessly classified - without a word

- don't speak loud - when in the metro don't scream through the wagon - I can hear this every day - it is very unpleasant, mainly for french, who always speak at very low potentiometer.

- don't tip on the US pattern - taxes and service = included - if the waiter has been nice, or did you a favour, let 5% - eg 10€ bill = 0.5 euros in bars, and 10% at the restaurant . 200€ bill = 20 € tip or more if you're of russian descent.

- at the hotel, coming back late, don't spêak loud in the corridors - speaking loud is from our POV a typical US flaw - in high standard hotels tip the chasseurs ( grooms ), suitcase-carriers, and room-maids - A thing I always do, beyond this, is to congratulate them for their work - which they, beyond £$, appreciate VERY much - things that people tend to forget . We call that "la classe " a mute sign-system .

Enjoy your trip - don't forget - awful as well as smart are universal - you are what you are - be spontaneaous - and trust french : they are not dumb
Cirion
Paris Forums Starter

do not be very picky when eating they get very annoyed. also give only 1-3 euros for tips. remember it is getting expensive so only buy 1-3 souvenirs for yourself and 1 for anybody else you want to get one for.
SugarNeedless
Paris Forums Starter

Joey, you already have some great answers so I will only add that, like you, I wanted to know these things before my trip. I was fortunate enough to have a friend recommend a book by Polly Platt called "French or Foe" that addresses this question rather well. It is not expensive and can easily be bought on-line. If you want some great advice buy this book and you'll have it in only a few days. I found it very helpful and I'm sure it made my trip much better. Bonne chance!!
StrangeSugar
Paris Forums Starter

Always say hello and goodbye in english and french. Example "Bonjour Hello". So they know your not from here and may speak english back and also out of respect.
Celebrindor
Paris Forums Starter

ONE MAJOR THING...when greeting someone french DO NOT shake hands! that is an automatic sign that your american... the kiss on both sides of the cheek is the proper greeting for french people. and watch your pronunciation of your french.. a french person can tell when you dont have that good of an accent, just basicaly try to be very french sounding lol. let it flow.. dont let it sound choppy! ok? well good luck and i hope you have a great time in france!
AU REVOIR MON AMI!
LosBurst
Paris Forums Starter

A few quick tips that should help you out a lot:

1.) Use your French: Nothing pisses off a citizen of France more than when Americans enter their country and start speaking English on the assumption that everybody's gonna understand you. Speak French. If the respondent answers in English, then it's permissible to switch to English. Otherwise, no.

2.) Be careful of who you film: Filming Parisians is generally considered a no-no. You can, of course, bring your video camera, but make sure that it's obvious you're filming the monuments and other inanimate sights. I've actually seen French people become violent at the thought that they were being filmed.

3.) Juice up your etiquette: However polite you are in America, amp it up in France. Go heavy on your pleases, your thank yous, etc. Hold doors open for people, let ladies sit down before you, smile often and cordially, etc.

4.) Ignore the Stranded Middle-Easterners: I know. Sounds weird. I'll explain. The new thing in Paris is for Middle-Eastern looking ladies to come out in full Arab garb, SEEK out those who they believe are Americans and hand them a note. The American reads it and it'll usually say something like, "I'm from such and such a country, I'm stranded in Paris and I need money to get back home." It's panhandling with a twist.

My brother-in-law (who is from Brazil) got suckered into this scam and dragged me into it because, once he realized she needed someone who could read English, he was all excited to point me out as being the guy that could help out. I said I had no money, but he wound up giving her five Euros out of guilt.

Needless to say, he felt kinda stupid when, during our short three day stay in Paris, we were approached about twenty more times by equally downtrodden Arab ladies. So just avoid them or say, "Je ne parle pas anglais" if you feel you need to acknowledge their existance.

If you can remember those four things, you should get along just fine.
Aragorn
Paris Forums Starter

1 Qatar Jobs .com The First Place to Find a Job in Qatar

Return to Paris Travel Forum