1 Qatar Jobs .com The First Place to Find a Job in Qatar

Visiting Paris Next Week, Will The Transport Strike Affect Me?

Visiting Paris next week, will the transport strike affect me? Posted 29 January 2011
Planning a Paris visit for a few days next week. There is an ongoing strike by the transport services across France, and I heard Paris Metro is also affected.
In a worst-case scenario, do you reckon I could cover the essentials on foot? How big is it? I plan to stay for 4 days.
Thanks!
I am arriving by Eurostar, which will take me to the centre of Paris.
LosBaroness
Paris Forums Starter

Re: Visiting Paris next week, will the transport strike affect me? Posted 29 January 2011
If the strike hasn't ended by the time of your trip, don't go at all. The city is completely paralyzed by the strikers. Road traffic is even worse than the normal daily nightmare - it just isn't moving. No you cannot cover it on foot; even if you could walk so far every day for your entire stay, you would have no time to do anything else.
HoneyBeauty
Paris Forums Starter

Re: Visiting Paris next week, will the transport strike affect me? Posted 29 January 2011
It is likely the strike will be over by next week. New negotiating sessions are happening at this moment. On the other hand there have been acts of violent sabotage directed at the TGV lines overnite so anything can happen.

The Metro is severely affected and only line 14, which is automated, is running at normal rates.

Never fear tho because Paris is a very compact and walkable city. almost all the major tourist sights are in a narrow band on either side of the Seine. A really fit person could walk a route to see them all in a day and even an decrepit old codger like me can cover it in four days.
Duinhir
Paris Forums Starter

I am in Paris right now, and the strike is over. I took several buses today and it was fine. I don't think it will start over next week. That's not what the media says at the moment anyway.
The only strike there is now is the students' strike, and some universities are affected. The Sorbonne was completely closed today.
GutsyUglyPuglet
Paris Forums Starter

1 Qatar Jobs .com The First Place to Find a Job in Qatar

Return to Paris Travel Forum