1 Qatar Jobs .com The First Place to Find a Job in Qatar

Im Going To Paris What Should I Expect?

Im going to paris what should i expect? Posted 30 January 2011
I am 16 and am going to paris on a school trip with 6 other students. My french is not very good, but i know simple words, will i be able to be comfortable around the french people. I am going for 1 week so how much money should i bring, Im canadian.

I want to go to some great resturants, because i love to cook and this will be the highlight of my trip. Any suggestions?
Narmacil
Paris Forums Starter

Re: Im going to paris what should i expect? Posted 30 January 2011
FLYING MONKEY'S....AND DAMN DIRTY APES!
Tar-Atanamir-the-Great
Paris Forums Starter

All i know is they do not light up the Eiffel Tower 4 some hours each night. Be warned. Dont stumble !
Emme76
Paris Forums Starter

Yes, the Parisians don't like Quebec French...to them it's not French. I couldn't agree more.

Enjoy the food though. I thoroughly love French food, and there are only a few good ones in Toronto.
Siriondil
Paris Forums Starter

Bring a couple hundred if you can at least. Learn how to ask a few important questions...

Where is the bathroom?
What time is it?
Where is the nearest hospital?
I need help
do you speak english is a good one.

I found that if you try and speak their language first they will be more helpful. The world doesnt' like Americans, so make sure you say your from Canada LOL.

Get a small french to english dictionary and a money converter.

Expect to see great art, great architecture, and experience great and/or unusualy foods. When I was there they had a problem with gypsies. So keep your wallet in your front pocket or wear one of those fannypack things that fits inside your cloths. Always keep your passport and ID and the bulk of your money on you under your cloths.

Be aware of your surroundings and follow the laws.

Good luck and have fun. Its a great experience. I love Paris.
Varukai
Paris Forums Starter

You are NOT going to "great restaurants" at McDonalds prices... can you afford $100 for a meal? because that is what it will cost to eat in a "great restaurant (correct spelling). BUY a GUIDE BOOK... you will get all your questions answered and YOU CAN CARRY IT WITH YOU.
ElBeast
Paris Forums Starter

Getting Around In Paris:
The most charming of Paris' public transport options, the underground Métropolitain (and its sister system, the RER), is a simply massive network.
No matter where you are, chances are there's a metro station within a few blocks.
Likewise, the public bus system covers everywhere, but its hours are laughable and don't even try to hop aboard on Sunday or a holiday.
The Noctambus network takes over in the heavily trafficked areas once both the underground and the day buses go to sleep.
Métro stations are marked with an "M" or with fancy "Métropolitain" lettering designed by Art Nouveau legend Hector Guimard.
The first trains start running around 5:30am, and the last ones leave the end-of-the-line stations (the "portes de Paris") for the center of the city at about 12:15am.
Hold onto your ticket until you pass the point marked Limite de Validité des Billets on the way to the exit.
Do not count on being able to buy a métro ticket late at night; some ticket windows close as early as 10pm.
Stay away from the most dangerous stations at night (Barbès-Rochechouart, Pigalle, Anvers, Châtelet-Les-Halles, Gare du Nord, Gare de l'Est).
If concerned, take a taxi.

Where To Stay:
Hotel Manufacture -8 RUE PHILIPPE DE CHAMPAGNE - 75013 Paris
Located in the Gobelins district in the South of Paris just minutes from the Pantheon, this is the perfect hotel for business people and visitors seeking charm and quality.
This elegant establishment, decorated with taste and style, is a pleasant blend of the past and modern times.

Where to eat:
Brasserie Lipp 151 blvd Saint Germain, 6e, metro Saint Germain des Prés.
Politicians rub shoulders with intellectuals and editors while waiters in dinner jackets serve pricey à la carte dishes at this old-time, wood-panelled café-brasserie.

What To See:
Don't forget to buy the Michelin Map no. 10 (PARIS 1:10,000) - an excellent map showing every street and alleyway.
Eiffel Tower. This towering edifice was built for the World Fair of 1889, held to commemorate the centenary of the French Revolution.
Notre Dame. Built between 1163 and 1345 on the Ile de la Cité, the original Roman core of Paris.
One of a string of famous Gothic cathedrals in northern France, built in the twelfth and thirteenth centuriesLouvre Museum.
A museum since 1793, the Louvre started as a royal palace. It has recently (1982-97) been completely - and radically - renovated, vastly improving it.
Worth visiting even if you do not have time toArch De Triomphe. Built in the early nineteenth century to celebrate the victories of Napoleon's 'Grande Armée'.
Tomb of the Unknown Soldier, with eternal flame, underneath.

Where To Shop:
Christian Dior. 30 Avenue Montaigne, 75008
Loius Vuitton. 54 Avenue Montaigne, 75008
Emporio Armani.149 Boulevard Saint Germain, 75006
Valentino. 17-19 Avenue Montaigne, 75008
Gucci. 2 Rue du Fbg St. Honore, 75008

Entertainment:
Batofar
What looks like a mild-mannered tugboat moored near the imposing Bibliothèque Nationale de France is a rollicking dancing spot that attracts some top international DJ talent. It's open 6pm to 2am Tuesday to Sunday
Rex Club
This huge club is indisputably the hottest place in town for techno and attracts Paris' top DJ talent. It's open 11pm till dawn Wednesday to Sunday.

french people is charming and very open so don't be afraid. I calculate at least 100 euros à day if you want to eat right.
Lothiriel
Paris Forums Starter

Re: Im going to paris what should i expect? Posted 07 April 2011
Paris a fantastic place for young people, but do as the other posters say and learn yourself some key phrases in French. CHeck out the BBC's Key French phrases guide (just google it).
janie
Paris Forums Visitor

Re: Im going to paris what should i expect? Posted 26 April 2011
Don't worry, there are plenty of English speakers in Paris. Knowing some basic wouldn't hurt either. Always greet "bonjour" when you enter a shop/restaurant, and "merci, au revoir" as you leave. Be courteous, say "pardon" instead of excuse me if you're trying to get pass someone while walking and they're sort of blocking your way. If you think someone is not understanding what you're saying, then speak clearly at moderate speed and use simple terms but DO NOT speak very slowly and loudly - that's rude.

There are plenty of places that you can eat which serves good food and yet doesn't cost a bomb. Occasionally, there are some things that are so special that it doesn't hurt to splurge a little.
seattlelimoforhire
Paris Forums Visitor

Re: Im going to paris what should i expect? Posted 13 May 2011
Take a guide and you can enjoy the travelling :)
fajarini11
Paris Forums Visitor

1 Qatar Jobs .com The First Place to Find a Job in Qatar

Return to Paris Travel Forum