1 Qatar Jobs .com The First Place to Find a Job in Qatar

Money Advice Please

Money Advice please Posted 25 October 2005
We will be arriving at Paris CDG airport for a 3-day stay in October. Since we arrive on a Sunday, I am assuming we'll need some Euros in hand before our arrival? OR... can I access an ATM at the airport and get my Euros after arriving? I know to avoid the Bureau des Exchanges in the airport (scam) but how can I get some Euros on a Sunday at the best rates? If I need to get them before the trip, how's the best way to accomplish this? Another question: I understand that I get the best rates from using my ATM with a 4-digit pin. I have a Visa check card for this purpose. I have to admit, I'm a little nervous about arriving in Europe with no cash in hand so need some assurance I'll be able to access my cash in my bank account from Europe. I don't really want to bring a wallet full of cash with me since I've heard of the pickpocket scams that are abundant in Paris. Suggestions?? Finally... can anyone recommend the best credit card to bring to Europe. It's very confusing to figure out the best one to use with all the foreign currancy change/conversion fees/transaction fees. I do have an Amex and a Chase Visa each with 0% on purchases, but don't know how these cards measure up on transaction fees/conversion charges as compared with another card. HELP! Thanks so much!
Sergio

Re: Money Advice please Posted 26 October 2005
I would advice you to have at least little amount of euros before the trip.
VaBank
Paris Forums Visitor

Posted 07 September 2008
take about 100 euros with you and wait until Monday when you can exchange more, otherwise you will lose a little due to low exchange rate on Sundays.
Cold_as_ice
Paris Forums Frequenter

Posted 08 September 2008
It doesn't matter if your account is in USD or EUR, if you withdraw at an ATM you can choose for EUR, and you'll get charged a conversion rate. Just ask the bank that issued the card.
mixi
Paris forums Member

Posted 12 September 2008
No, you're not right mixi. ATMs might charge big commissions for converting the rate. So, if big amounts are withdrawn, you lose a lot.
Cold_as_ice
Paris Forums Frequenter

Posted 13 September 2008
True. ATM's charge a big commission. There are a few debit card issuers that almost have no fees for this but they are not that safe.
Planetman
Paris Forums Frequenter

1 Qatar Jobs .com The First Place to Find a Job in Qatar

Return to Paris General Chat