1 Qatar Jobs .com The First Place to Find a Job in Qatar

Late November - How Much Are Places Heated?

Late November - how much are places heated? Posted 25 October 2005
'm taking my long-awaited-first-trip to Paris over Thanksgiving this year and am wondering about temperatures.
I've searched the posts for some info. on Parisian weather in November and found lots of good advice, but haven't seen anything about indoor areas - are Parisian buildings generally well heated, or do they tend to be more frugal with the heating bills?
(This may sound like an odd question, but I grew up in Buffalo, NY, wehere most buildings are heated to about 70 degrees or so all winter. Here in FL, most places only turn the heat up to about 60, even when the temp. outside is 30! Just trying to figure how many layers I'll need to pack for the hotel, museums, etc....)
Thanks!
serga

Posted 25 October 2005
Hi vlmail2, I understand completely - I am in Florida too (Daytona area). I carry a sweater with me everywhere even when it is 95± out because most places are freezing cold with the AC. (The following is from a woman's point of view who gets cold easy).
I have been to Paris once in December, once in January and once in November. (I too am traveling there this Nov., returning on Thanksgiving Day). The best thing about traveling to Europe in the winter is avoiding the warmer-weather crowds. But for once I think I'd like to see the gardens in bloom :-))
My experience with the hotels is that they generally really crank the heat at night - almost too much. Some of the stores can be quite overheated as well. I've found restaurants to be perfectly comfortable overall, but the museums can sometimes get a little chilly. Wear a heavier over sweater if you're going to the D'Orsay or Louvre and plan to check your coat. The churches/cathedrals are generally chilly as well.
I normally wear a pair of tights under my trousers or jeans on really cold days if I plan to be outside most of the day (like for a visit to Pere Lachaise or a flea market). However, if I plan to be mostly in museums or inside I forgo this. I wear a sleeveless tank under a turtleneck and then, if the turtleneck is thin, a sweater over that. And of course, my warm long coat and muffler scarve :-) (A hat is not a terrible idea to take along in December or January visits, but you can get away without in Nov.)
Hope that helps - have a fantastic time!
alea

Return to Paris General Chat