1 Qatar Jobs .com The First Place to Find a Job in Qatar

Meeting People

meeting people Posted 02 August 2009
I've been in Paris for a week now and will be here until the 12th of August. While it's been great exploring the city, I'm finding it hard as hell to meet people here, probably due in part to my horrible french.

Any advice for good places for socializing and chatting in the city. I'm staying in the latin district not far from rue moufftard and from my wanderings I just haven't been able to find any places where I can fit in.

I would be happy for any general advice, and if anyone here would like to meet up for a drink, that would be great too. I'm an American expat that's been teaching English in Moscow for 12 years now and considering moving to Paris if the possibility arises so it would be nice to meet other teachers as well.

In Russia, it's not really acceptable to make small talk with people you don't know, in total contrast to how it is in the states. You only go out with your friends and don't talk to people you don't know - this extends to bars as well. I'm curious, is this true for Paris as well?
flupwatson
Paris Forums Starter

Re: meeting people Posted 02 June 2010
Hey flupwatson! It must really be the language barrier! lol! I've been to Paris before and the French people are generally friendly people so I'm sure you'll find some good company there. Why don't you try visiting in the parks or why don't you try to visit tourist spots as well? I am definitely sure you'll find other tourists there who are more than willing to make new friends as well! Have fun! :mrgreen:
lsea_717
Paris forums Member

Re: meeting people Posted 04 June 2010
hi, are you looking to meet french people in particular? or any nationality? there are plenty of friendly people here, but, you do have to approach them :) you should go to one of the social gatherings, these are easy to find and happy pretty much on a weekly basis.

if you're not up for it

join us on Facebook expatfrance (snail)
ironfever
Paris Forums Visitor

Re: meeting people Posted 05 June 2010
Thanks for the replies, but they're a little late since that was a whole year ago when I posted :lol: I'm already long in Moscow now. But thanks for the advice. I'll keep it in mind if I return.
flupwatson
Paris Forums Starter

Re: meeting people Posted 07 August 2010
thanks you...
seodinah
Paris Forums Visitor

Re: meeting people Posted 02 September 2010
Theres's lots of expat meetings if you know how to find them. Fusac magazine might help you.
groggi42
Paris Forums Visitor

Re: meeting people Posted 02 September 2010
im experiencing the saame thing, ive neever had this much trouble meeting people before! but here in paris, I find it almost impossible! hopefully its not JUST me :)
Sarah85
Paris Forums Starter

Re: meeting people Posted 14 September 2010
Try to get involved in events going on in Paris - I'd recommend the website gogoparis to find out about them. You're sure to meet like minded and interesting locals and expats at the kind of events they list!
Kimmy Paris
Paris Forums Starter

Re: meeting people Posted 23 September 2010
flupwatson wrote:I've been in Paris for a week now and will be here until the 12th of August. While it's been great exploring the city, I'm finding it hard as hell to meet people here, probably due in part to my horrible french.

Any advice for good places for socializing and chatting in the city. I'm staying in the latin district not far from rue moufftard and from my wanderings I just haven't been able to find any places where I can fit in.

I would be happy for any general advice, and if anyone here would like to meet up for a drink, that would be great too. I'm an American expat that's been teaching English in Moscow for 12 years now and considering moving to Paris if the possibility arises so it would be nice to meet other teachers as well.

In Russia, it's not really acceptable to make small talk with people you don't know, in total contrast to how it is in the states. You only go out with your friends and don't talk to people you don't know - this extends to bars as well. I'm curious, is this true for Paris as well?

Hi!
I saw that you recently joined this forum. Are you new in Paris? As I can see you are from abroad. So, if you’d like to meet expats or international people; or if you want to find a good number of friends from the expat community in Paris may I recommend that you register on http://www.paris4u.net , which is a network of expats in Paris that I use a lot and I find it cool! They have some great events which we can attend plus some great tips on finding jobs in Paris. I’d like to be in touch from time to time, and if ok with you, since I spend more time on paris4u, we can discuss over there too. My name there is Andrew.

Also, these people are hosting this Salsa Course on Sunday 3rd of October, 2010. The course will be in 3 different languages namely English, French and German. As a result, you can not only learn a bit of Salsa you can also meet a whole lot of international people and at the same time learn a bit of French through the French dancing course.
Now thats what I call a complete package!

Leave me an email if you want more details or simply log on to the website http://www.paris4u.net

-- 23 September 2010 --

PARIS4U offers you CUBAN SALSA courses in 3 DIFFERENT LANGUAGES – English, German, French with renowned Salsa trainer Beatrice !!!!!!

WHAT : A ONCE IN A LIFETIME OPPORTUNITY TO LEARN SALSA IN 3 (Yes that’s right) DIFFERENT LANGUAGES!!!!!

WHERE :

Pub St Germain,

17 Rue de l'Ancienne- Comédie,

48° 50' 38.1552" N, 2° 21' 3.8664" E

WHEN :

Starting from the 3rd of October, 2010 ---- each Sunday, at 8pm

PRICE : A meager 9 euros per class for a single lesson; 8 euros for 1 month registration, 7 euros for 1 trimester registration.

LEVEL : Full-beginners or people having some knowledge

DETAILS : We are offering Cuban Salsa classes in 3 different languages- French, English and German with English being the main language. Also, you get the opportunity to mingle with a superbly friendly and international group. The course will last for 1 to 1 ½ hour which will be followed by dancing at will, so that advanced dancers can join at that time.

TRAINER PROFILE : Our trainer is Beatrice- a very well known and excellent patron of Salsa herself.

WHY P4U : We are the only group in Paris that can boast of offering Cuban Salsa courses in 3 different languages. Not only that we also give you the opportunity to meet hundreds of people and not just ordinary people but people from various nations all over the world. So, it is not only the pleasure of dancing you get but also the fun and excitement of making new friends.

So, what are you waiting for? REGISTER NOW!!!!!
17 Rue de l'Ancienne- Comédie 48° 50' 38. 48° 51' 10.0548" N, 2
48° 51' 24.0012" N, 2° 21' 3.5532" E
Event Date:
Sun, 03/10/2010 - 8:00pm - 9:30pm (ended)
Would You join?
paris4u
Paris Forums Starter

Re: meeting people Posted 22 January 2011
flupwatson wrote:I've been in Paris for a week now and will be here until the 12th of August. While it's been great exploring the city, I'm finding it hard as hell to meet people here, probably due in part to my horrible french.

hi rexresort is the most fabulous resort in Europe.
travelcamp
Paris Forums Visitor

Re: meeting people Posted 20 March 2011
Hello Everyone,
We arrange monthly expatriate gatherings which generally attract between 170 - 220 expatriates from 50 countries. We break our evening into two parts:

Part 1 is an icebreak / social part, where you really meet lots of new people (generally 20:30 until 23:00)
Part 2 is when the DJ and dancing begins until the early hours (or late ) of the next day

our next party is on the 8th April 2011 in Odéon, you're all welcome to come.

www . expatriateparty . com
expatriateparty
Paris Forums Visitor

Re: meeting people Posted 07 April 2011
Try language exchanges on Craigslist! There are many French people that want to meet foreigners to practice their English.
janie
Paris Forums Visitor

Re: meeting people Posted 28 June 2011
try expatriateparty . com we have expatriate events in paris and 2800 members in our facebook group expatriates in paris :)
expatriateparty
Paris Forums Visitor

Re: meeting people Posted 22 November 2011
i have heard about a site , " conversation english french" ,events where you chat with native french speakers while having a drink,check it out ,the place is AMAZING!
malou
Paris Forums Starter

Re: meeting people Posted 05 January 2012
Meet locals and learn French at the same time with FRANGLISH.
Language exchange events 3 to 5 times per week in Paris (also in Nice and London).
More than 5000 members in Paris.
michaelwelch
Paris Forums Starter

Re: meeting people Posted 06 January 2012
i'm irish and just moved to paris recently. Love it here so far. I'd love to hang out with some english speaking people if anyone wants to:) i'm 20
roseanne
Paris Forums Starter

Re: meeting people Posted 09 January 2012
Just an idea but for those of you who are having a hard time meeting French people: why not go to a a school or some otherr kind of place where english is taught and volunteer to help?
Lalia
Paris Forums Visitor

Re: meeting people Posted 02 February 2012
roseanne wrote:i'm irish and just moved to paris recently. Love it here so far. I'd love to hang out with some english speaking people if anyone wants to:) i'm 20

Hi Roseanne,

How can I PM you? This site wont let me! :0)
Smiley2100
Paris Forums Starter

Re: meeting people Posted 14 February 2012
ironfever wrote:hi, are you looking to meet french people in particular? or any nationality? there are plenty of friendly people here, but, you do have to approach them :) you should go to one of the social gatherings, these are easy to find and happy pretty much on a weekly basis.

if you're not up for it

join us on Facebook expatfrance (snail)

Great FB group and i have joined thanks !
PJones
Paris Forums Visitor

Re: meeting people Posted 05 March 2012
there are lots of special interest gorups and social groups in paris

try

couchsurfing events
expatriateparty events
meetup events
facebook groups

goodluck
kay5
Paris Forums Starter