1 Qatar Jobs .com The First Place to Find a Job in Qatar

Silver Baby Gifts

silver baby gifts Posted 18 August 2010
I own a Jewelry company called Tibetan Empress. I sell jewelry mostly from Tibet and Nepal. Over the past few weeks I have been expanding the jewelry collection to add jewelry from different regions in China. The newest collection is the Miao Silver.

Miao people are from one of the largest ethnic minorities in southwest China usually in mountainous communities. The Miao people are known for their elaborate embroidery and exquisite work with silver.

The Miao culture is extremely focused on Silver. For example when a baby is born silver is always given as gifts and silver bracelets and anklets are put on soon after the birth. This is to prevent evil spirits from harming the child. Also the baby can never be bathed with our wearing silver.

A young Miao girl will keep receiving silver gifts up until her marriage. For more than 400 years it has been a tradition and custom to decorate you self from head to toe in silver. A complete set of silver jewellery can weigh around 15 kg and can take more than one hour for a girl to put the entire set on.

My sister in law has just found out that she is pregnant and my husband and I were talking last night about what to buy as a present when the baby is born. Some of the ideas we were talking about seemed very similar to the ones given in the Miao culture, engraved silver spoons, silver baby rattles…ect.
I’m just very curious now, what have you bought your nieces, nephews or friends babies? Or what have you been given when you had your children?
tibetanempress
Paris Forums Starter

Return to New Paris Forum Members