Physical exercising
60%
Mental exercising
20%
Both
20%

Total votes : 5

What do we call a sport? Posted 09 October 2008
Everybody have different opinions about what we call a sport. Some say it's a physical exercise and doesn't have anything to do with mental exercising. Others believe that mental games are sports as well. Example of mental games are: poker, chess etc.
Personally for me, sports means physical exercises and I say "No sweating - no sport". Finland is the country with the most uncommon types of sports practiced. Its sports can even be called exotic. I think we should make a clear distinguishing between sports and entertaining games, otherwise chaos will appear in sports.
tulaka
Paris Forums Frequenter

Posted 22 October 2008
To me sport is also a physical load. Other games, such as snooker, poker etc. are simply entertaining games, nothing more. I would like that the international sport federation makes clear rules and understanding of what we call a sport
Maximus
Paris Forums Frequenter

Posted 26 October 2008
You're both wrong. Sport means mental load as well. Tulaka, as you mentioned "No sweating - no sports", now, have you ever watched a chess tournament? Actually those guys are putting so much effort in the game, that assistants don't even manage to bring them shawls.
Cold_as_ice
Paris Forums Frequenter

Posted 31 October 2008
Yes CAI, well that's normal to sweat when you are full of emotions. However this sweating is not natural. When a person sweats this means the unnecessary substances are eliminated from the body. Emotions can't do that, as against to physical work.
Maximus
Paris Forums Frequenter

Posted 01 November 2008
I also associate sport with health. We can't get that health from mental activity. Health involves permanent moving.
tulaka
Paris Forums Frequenter

Posted 04 November 2008
Some say that football is a game where 20 fools run after a ball to beat it between two sticks. :lol:
they certainly forget about the money these fools make.
Maximus
Paris Forums Frequenter

Posted 07 November 2008
Maximus wrote:To me sport is also a physical load. Other games, such as snooker, poker etc. are simply entertaining games, nothing more. I would like that the international sport federation makes clear rules and understanding of what we call a sport

I totally agree :lol:
barcelonaar
Paris Forums Visitor

Posted 08 November 2008
different countries see things differently. Anyways, does it matter if the thinig we do is called sport or not? I think what is really important is that this actions brings us pleasure.
Cold_as_ice
Paris Forums Frequenter

Posted 12 November 2008
Cold_as_ice wrote:different countries see things differently. Anyways, does it matter if the thinig we do is called sport or not? I think what is really important is that this actions brings us pleasure.

any action that brings pleasure can not be called a sport!
Sex - a lot of pleasure, is this a sport? Hmm... no wait, it is - it burns as much calories as after a football game ;)
tulaka
Paris Forums Frequenter

Posted 16 November 2008
you took it a little bit too deep. But, I agree - we can't say that the things we receive pleasure from are called sports. For example I receive pleasure from watching TV. Is this a sport? I will soon have a belly! :)
Maximus
Paris Forums Frequenter

Posted 25 June 2009
For me sport is also a physical load. Other games, such as snooker, poker etc. are simply entertaining games. I would like that the international sport federation makes clear rules and understanding of what we call a sport
cristy455
Paris Forums Starter

Re: What do we call a sport? Posted 19 May 2010
Sport - physical and mental exercise of the body. I like sports where I could run, jump and feel your sweat out .
Try playing Ultimate Frisbee. The best sport to have fun with.
bryan
Paris Forums Visitor

Re: What do we call a sport? Posted 20 January 2011
You need mental exercise too.. Yoga maybe?
monkey100
Paris Forums Visitor

1 Qatar Jobs .com The First Place to Find a Job in Qatar

Return to Paris Sports Talk