1 Qatar Jobs .com The First Place to Find a Job in Qatar

Qualified Lawyer (England And Wales); Fluent French Speaking

Qualified Lawyer (England and Wales); fluent French speaking Posted 29 July 2011
I am a newly qualified Solicitor in England and Wales. I am keen to find work in Paris, whether it be temporary, project/fixed term or permanent. I seek vacancies preferably in the legal sector although I am a fast learner, I have experience in admin and education and will pick up new skill sets very quickly.

I am a native English speaker with a fluent command of French. I have some knowledge of Paris having spent a year of my degree studying at Paris X, Nanterre. My partner is a teacher employed by the Education Nationale; as of September she will be stationed in Montmirail and living in Chateau Thierry, so I am keen to find work in and around Paris or, if outside of the city, in the general area to the east where Ile de France, Picardie and Champagne-Ardennes meet.

I will paste my CV below although I am unsure how it will come out in this post.

Name JAMES ROYSTON RODEN
Address 30 Chatsworth Road
Torquay
Devon
TQ1 3BL
Telephone 01803 214019
07763 106144

Email jamesroystonroden@live.co.uk
Nationality British
Admitted September 2011

Education/ Qualifications

2007 – 2008 COLLEGE OF LAW, GUILDFORD
Legal Practice Course – Pass

2003 – 2007 UNIVERSITY OF READING
LL.B. Law with French Law – 2(ii)

2005 – 2006 UNIVERSITE DE PARIS-X, NANTERRE
Diplôme d’Etudes Juridiques Françaises – Pass

1996 – 2003 TORQUAY BOYS’ GRAMMAR SCHOOL
A Level
English Literature A
French B
Art B
Philosophy & Ethics B

AS Level
General Studies
C

GCSE

English Literature, English Language, French, Art: A*
Maths, Science (double award), German, Music: A
Media Studies, R.E. (short course): B

Professional Experience

September 2009 – September 2011
KITSONS LLP (formerly Kitson Hutchings)
Trainee Solicitor
Experience gained during the training contract has included:
Professional Negligence/ General Civil Litigation/ Employment
• Working in small Prof Neg team on senior fee earner’s matters.
• Compiling trial bundles and documents for counsel, drafting instructions to counsel.
• Attending conference and court with counsel for these cases.
• Advising and drafting letters in matters of landlord and tenant disputes, contractual disputes, adverse possession and general property disputes (easements, boundary disputes etc.) – both for own matters and for senior fee earners.
• Dividing time between Professional Negligence/ Litigation team and Employment team.
• Drafting Employment law documents and assisting generally with conduct of Employment matters.
General Litigation
• Drafting letters, statements of case, CPR forms, bill of costs, witness statements, instructions to counsel.
• Progressing civil matters both as own file and for senior fee earners.
• Attending court with Counsel/ with senior fee earners.
• Experience of civil hearings in court and in chambers; criminal hearings in magistrates and Crown, both defence and prosecution.
Examples of Litigation Matters (own matter unless otherwise stated)
• Data Protection advice to GP.
• Contract claim in relation to purchase of motor vehicle. Default judgment obtained. Later application to set aside same dismissed and summary judgment and costs obtained.
• Handling of complaint/potential claim by disgruntled customer for holiday villa letting company. Complaint discontinued.
• Several matters involving easements/boundary disputes/claims of nuisance.
• Two matters involving advice with regard to harassment and anti-social behaviour, in one such matter conducting complaints against police and local authority.
• Drafting Sale of Goods Act claim and like section 75 CCA claim in relation to bathroom fittings.
• Negotiation with other party in relation to judgment obtained against commercial client for non-payment.
• Drafting bill of costs and costs proceedings against judgment debtor for car dealer client (for senior fee earner).
• Conference with counsel and attendance behind counsel at trial, prosecution for MMO (for senior fee earner).
• Conference with counsel and attendance behind counsel, defence re motoring offences in magistrates, appeal against assault conviction in Crown (for senior fee earner).
Commercial Property
• Drafting abstract of title, leases, licence to underlet, rent deposit deed, declaration of trust, transfers, land registry applications.
• Progressing matters for senior fee earner in relation to matters of letting, underletting and sale and purchase of commercial property/ sale of business, for major commercial clients.
• Undertaking own matter under supervision to formalise, by way of trust instrument, ownership of commercial property and goodwill in large family restaurant business.
• Extensive research of titles and legal research for senior fee earner.
Private Client: Wills/Trusts/Probate
• Drafting oaths, wills, codicils, trust documents, powers of attorney.
• Progressing probate matters at all stages including obtaining grant, drafting estate accounts and distribution of estate.
• Largely running or working on matters under direct supervision of senior fee earners.
• Dealt with obtaining grant of letters of administration in intestacy as own file.

Non Fee Earning Responsibilities
• Assisting with internal research and drafting for Chambers and Legal 500 submissions.
• Drafting and conducting successful application to DWP Health, Work and Well Being Challenge Fund, resulting in successful project to install a bicycle pool at firm’s main office.
• Assisting with marketing events held in-house and at industry/trade exhibitions.
• Assisting colleague with research for Professional Negligence seminar.
• Assisting a partner in delivery a legal careers Q&A at local secondary school.
• Drafting response to contract law question sent to firm through online “Ask the Expert” facility.
• Organising entries for Devon & Somerset Law Society sports and social events.
• Drafting constitution for Devon & Somerset Law Society’s Joint Professions’ Networking Group.
• Attending twinned bars/ international lawyers meeting events in Rennes, France and Leuven, Belgium.
• Drafting and delivering presentation in French on topic of limited liability to conference of European lawyers (Rennes).
• Undertaking week-long work experience placement with member firm of a twinned law society (Barreau de Rennes), in Fougères, Brittany.
• Contributing articles on international events to Devon & Somerset Law Society Newsletter.

Non-Legal Experience
My training contract with Kitsons LLP, initially scheduled to commence in September 2008, was deferred for 12 months. During this period, I worked at Torbay Council Housing Services, initially as a temporary Admin Assistant and then for a fixed term project as a Systems Support Officer responsible for making administrative procedures within the department more effective and streamlined.
During the summer of 2009 I returned to work as an Activity Leader with EF Language Travel in Torquay, having spent previous summer seasons in positions as Activity Leader, Local Leader, Local Teacher and Course Leader.

Languages
• French: fluent/advanced.
• German: basic/intermediate.
ICT
• Excellent computer literacy.
• Able to use effectively Word, Excel, Outlook.
• Holder of ECDL Essentials certificate.
• Good data entry and typing (approx 75wpm) skills.
Interests
• Sports: including rugby (member of local club), football, and basketball.
• Travel: frequent traveller within Europe, mainly France.
• Languages, literature, popular science, writing, painting, membership of local astronomy society.
• Music: Grade 7 piano, Grade 7 alto saxophone.

References available upon request
jamesroystonroden
Paris Forums Starter

Return to Professionals looking for jobs in Paris