1 Qatar Jobs .com The First Place to Find a Job in Qatar

Places To Visit In Paris

Places to visit in Paris Posted 14 July 2005
What places would you recomend to visit in Paris?
Thank you.
Turisto

Posted 14 July 2005
Hm..
The Eiffel Tower
The Grevin Museum
The Louvre and surrounding attractions
Tom

Posted 14 July 2005
Marais, Les Halles, Pompidou Center, Hotel de Ville, Place des Vosges, and Place de la Bastille
Travis

Posted 05 August 2005
Landmarks

* the Eiffel Tower (Tour d'Eiffel) (7th). One of the most famous (and tallest) landmarks in the world.
* Père-Lachaise Cemetery (20th). See the grave of Jim Morrison amongst many others.
* Catacombs (6th). Used to store the exhumed bones from the overflowing Paris cemetery.
* Arc de Triomphe (8th). The grave of the unknown soldier is under the arch.

Notre Dame de Paris

* Notre Dame Cathedral (4th). Impressive Gothic cathedral that was the inspiration for Victor Hugo's novel The Hunchback of Notre Dame.
* Sacré Coeur (18th). A church perched on top of the highest point in Paris. Behind the church is the artists' area, in front are spectacular views of the whole city.
* Sainte Chapelle (1st). Far more beautiful than the famous, but gloomy, Notre Dame.
* Pantheon (5th). Underneath, the final resting place for the great heroes of the French Republic; above, a marvellous view of the city.
* Chateau de Versailles (Versailles). On the outskirts of the city, the "must see" home of the Sun King Louis XIV.
* Grand Arche de la Defense (La Defense). A modern office-building variant of the Arc de Triomphe. Has a viewing platform.

Museums and galleries

* The Louvre (1st). One of the finest museums in the world of art, art-history, and culture through the ages.
* Musée d'Orsay (7th). home to the great artists of the 19th century (1848-1914) - Impressionists, post-Impressionists, and the rest...
* Centre Georges Pompidou (4th). the great museum of modern art, the building an attraction in itself...
* Picasso Museum (3rd). Contains the master's own collections.
* Rodin Museum (7th). His personal collection and archives, in a charming hotel and sprawling garden.

Posted 20 August 2005
What about Disney Land? Is it not a nice place to visit? :)
ParisFashion
Paris Forums Visitor

Posted 14 September 2008
It is ok. But not that good as the US version
Elis
Paris Forums Frequenter

Posted 19 September 2008
[/img]http://andreea.francu.com/travel/paris.vr/places.vr/La%20Conciergerie/pic/med-conciergerie.jpg[img]
La Conciergerie - nice place. Used to be a part of the Royal Palace.[/img]
Maximus
Paris Forums Frequenter

Posted 24 September 2008
Hi Turisto, your nick sounds as Italian. So if you're an Italian you may visit a pizza place
http://www.pizzaartisanale.com/
tulaka
Paris Forums Frequenter

Posted 28 September 2008
The indian district is something specific
mixi
Paris forums Member

Posted 14 October 2008
If you go to Paris you should obviously visit the Notre Dame cathedral It's actually the first culture place that must be visited. By the way, it's on an island on Seine, so you will have a rest and also take pictures of nice art in that cathedral
Cold_as_ice
Paris Forums Frequenter

Posted 14 February 2009
You should visit The Grevin Wax Museum, The Galeries Lafayette, the Sacre Coeur Church and the Notre Dame cathedral, of course...
road-finder
Paris Forums Visitor

Posted 14 February 2009
you could look through some photos of the Notre Dame cathedral just right here http://www.worldwalk.info/en/catalog/82/
road-finder
Paris Forums Visitor

Paris Museums and Sites Posted 13 May 2009
Here are the Museums I visited from April 26-May 1, 2009 and hours I was there. In order of preference. Best to get Museum Pass to visit this many. It helps avoid some lines, but you still have to wait in security lines. By the way, there aren't any drinking fountains in any of the museums.

1. Louvre - 16 hours. I saw most of the incredible museum.
2. Musee d'orsay - 8 hours. If you get there early I suggest you go to the top floor first to beat the crowds. It's where the best collection of Impressionist Art is located
3. Musee Marmottan - 2 hours. Very much worth the metro trip. Beautiful park nearby.
4. Rodin Museum - 3 hours. Wonderful museum grounds.
5. Musee d' l'Orangerie - 1 hour. Between the Louvre and Musee d'Orsay. It contains Monets circular paintings. Bottom floor (basement I think) has excellent collection.
6. Centre Pompidou - 3 hours. Confusing esculators. Sometimes you need to go down a floor to go up a floor.
7. Musee Picasso - 1 1/2 hour. No photos allowed, even without flash.
8. Musee Delacroix - 1/2 hour.

Other excellent places to visit -
Fontaine des Innocent - Near Centre Pompidou. Very pretty fountain.
Hotel des Invalides/Napoleons Tomb - Near Eiffel Tower.
Rue Cler - good to stroll and get crepes at Ulysse en Gaulle. There are other wonderful strolling areas between the Centre Pompidou and Ille de Cite.

I took the Open Tour bus for four hours. Opera was closed or I would have visited it. It was great to rest my feet on the bus and see other locations. The audio guide was good also. Metro was easy. I just purchased only the tickets I needed. Best to have euro coins available to purchase from machines in Metro tunnels

I'd love to go back to this wonderful city. All of the people I talked to were very helpful and friendly. They spoke enough English to get by. And my impression was - they prefer you don't speak French unless you speak it well. Which is fine with me since I love the language.
dww
Paris Forums Starter

Re: Places to visit in Paris Posted 05 April 2010
I have been to Paris last year, and we just bought a travel guide in advance and picked out everything we wanted to see. This is very handy, and most of these guides have maps in them (for people like me, who cannot even find their way in their hometown :oops: ) We have not gone to museums a lot though, because I myself am not very interested in Art and most museums are quite expensive.

Of course the Tour Eifel is a must-go, certainly at night. When it gets dark outside, the lights on the tower go on and it is fantastic to sit on the grass behind the tower then. When it is warm outside, bring something to sit on and a bottle of wine to have a delicious evening!
Besides that, the famous Arc de Triomphe and the Notre Dame are really worth visiting. The Arc de Triomphe is very impressing when you know a bit about the history of Europe (German-French wars for example) and the Notre Dame is very beautiful, on the outside as well as on the inside.
The Sacre-Coeur is even more beautiful, though less well-known, than the Notre Dame. It is quite a walk, all the stairs, but when you are up you have an astonishing view!
Not far from the Sacre-Coeur is the Moulin Rouge. If you liked the film, you should definitely go and see this. In the entrance there are a lot of photographs with the entire history of the Moulin Rouge written beside it, but you cannot come in any further than that. You can buy tickets for a dinner and show there, but it is really expensive.
When you walk towards the Louvre, you walk through a parc, which is quite beautiful. There's a great fountain, and when the weather is good it is really nice to sit there (there are lots of chairs around the fountain). Also the square in front of the Louvre is nice to sit and just look at all the people passing by.

Have a great stay!!
Tessa
Paris Forums Starter

Re: Places to visit in Paris Posted 27 May 2010
There are a lot of places to visit in Paris! And i mean A LOT! on top of your list of course would be the Eiffel tower, after that never miss to visit the museums as well. The best museums are the Louvre, Pompidou, Orsay and even the Carnavalet. Some not to miss religious places are the Notre Dame Cathedral and the Saint Chapelle. And if you want a freaky and experience you should also not miss to visit the Catacombs and even the Pantheon as well. There are a lot of sites that you can visit online that will also give you even more places to visit! Once you're there I'm sure you'll feel the same way as i do that there are so many places to go but so little time! Have fun though! :mrgreen:
lsea_717
Paris forums Member

Re: Places to visit in Paris Posted 27 May 2010
I would definitely recommend the Marais. You are not going to be short of places to visit, that is for sure. Do a search for:

Marais
sait-germain-des-pres
eiffel tower
pompidou centre
hotel de ville
batobus (this is great, like a bus on the river that has 8 stops, each a cool place to look around)

Definitely make time to look around by night too, as paris is even more beautiful when the sun goes down.
dpinparis
Paris Forums Starter

Re: Places to visit in Paris Posted 31 May 2010
obviously there are a LOT of places to visit in Paris! there are a lot of historical sites, great architecture, parks, and museums that all offer a great touring experience. the Eiffel is a given place to visit, but Paris is more than the Eiffel tower! My personal favorite would be the Catacombs.. It's a weird choice but more than the incredible and creepy site, it is also a humbling experience for me. I mean to be in a place where both the rich and the poor are together and the history that goes with it.. makes it a must visit for me.. Hope you can get to visit it too! :mrgreen:
lsea_717
Paris forums Member

Re: Places to visit in Paris Posted 17 June 2010
I would recommend the Disneyland in Paris. Their own version is good, although not as good as the US style but the thought of having a similar amusement park is worth visiting.
bryan
Paris Forums Visitor

Re: Places to visit in Paris Posted 17 June 2010
Turisto wrote:What places would you recomend to visit in Paris?

Eiffel Tower (Tour Eiffel): Eiffel Tower is the symbol of Paris and likely the most recognizable landmark of the city.
La Conciergerie: Located by the Seine on Ile de la Cite, La Conciergerie was originally part of the Royal Palace.
Musee du Louvre: The Louvre is the world's largest museum and one of the world's greatest art collections in the world.
Sacre-Coeur: Like many other buildings in Paris, this one was controversial with people loving it and hating it with the same passion. The basilica was finally consecrated in 1919. Because of the location and size its effect is grand. The inside has beautiful mosaics.
Sainte-Chapelle: It was built in 1248 by Louis IX to house what was believed to be the crown of thorns from Christ's crucifixion and fragments of the true cross.

Thank you.
Glamour Apartments

http://www.glamourapartments.org/
thinkbizindia
Paris Forums Starter

Re: Places to visit in Paris Posted 02 December 2010
Pont des Arts or les "quais de Seine"!
Paris on Demand
Paris Forums Visitor

Re: Places to visit in Paris Posted 08 December 2010
I wish to visit Disneyland Paris so much. :D This HNHSoft French phrase book is a must and will be my travel assistant.
nancyxu
Paris Forums Starter

Re: Posted 09 December 2010
ParisFashion wrote:What about Disney Land? Is it not a nice place to visit? :)

Its a good place and there is old phrase about Disney Land that is "Disneyland Resort Paris, the holiday destination where dreams come true".
Air Charter New York
flyanywhere
Paris Forums Starter

Re: Places to visit in Paris Posted 26 December 2010
I will recommand to walk in Le Marais, Saint Germain des Prés, and to go to the Jacquemard André Museum, an amazing private mansion with 18th century collections.
You might otherwise need a private guide. What is better than walking down Paris with a young Parisian who tells you nice stories about Paris today and its customs? (esprit-de-paris)
Enjoy your trip!
CharlotteCaramelle
Paris Forums Starter

Re: Places to visit in Paris Posted 28 December 2010
thanks for the information...............
kashmirhouseboats
Paris Forums Starter

Re: Places to visit in Paris Posted 02 January 2011
eiffel tower is my dream place to visit. wish i can go there. it will be a dream come true hehe
atazhee26
Paris Forums Visitor

Re: Places to visit in Paris Posted 08 January 2011
Hello everyone........
vikrant
Paris Forums Starter

Re: Places to visit in Paris Posted 20 January 2011
How I wish I could visit Paris, especially Eiffel tower. My aunt was actually in Paris, it was one of the places she visited during her luxury vacation. She'd been to Notre Dame, Montmarte and in Central Paris. I've been to many countries, we actually spend our summer vacation to other countries. Hopefully Paris will be our next country in the next summers to come.
monkey100
Paris Forums Visitor

Re: Places to visit in Paris Posted 21 January 2011
I believe the Bateaux Parisiens Tours are brilliant as a romantic date for Dinner and for Sightseeing all the attractions at night look lovely lit up.
lagadoo
Paris Forums Starter

Re: Places to visit in Paris Posted 26 January 2011
If you like parks, definitely go to the Luxembourg Gardens. (In the spring, summer, or fall.)
TravelEverywhere
Paris Forums Starter

Re: Places to visit in Paris Posted 25 February 2012
hello everyone............

Paris is the best place for travel.I want to travel there for one time.

thanks.
Rashidindia
Paris Forums Starter

Re: Places to visit in Paris Posted 29 February 2012
1. Notre Dame

Notre Dame Cathedral is one of the world's largest Gothic-style cathedralsTowering Notre Dame Cathedral and its island home, the île de la Cite, are the visual crown of the historic heart of Paris. Nearby is the Palais de Justice made famous during the French Revolution, the Conciergerie (where Marie Antoinette was imprisoned), the stained glass mastery of the church Saint Chapelle, the famous Pont Neuf Bridge, and the delightful residences and shops of the island Île de Sainte Louis.

2. Eiffel Tower

The Eiffel Tower is one of the best places to visit in ParisVisiting the stunning, world-famous Eiffel Tower and viewing the city from on high is considered by many the traditional right of passage when visiting Paris. Nearby are: the Palais de Chaillot and its museums, the Musée du Quai Branly (ethnography) and the Musée Marmottan Monet (an excellent art museum focused on the works of Monet).

3. Champs Elysées

The Champs Elysees and Arc de Triomphe are stunning sightsThis the romantic heart of Paris and one of the most popular streets for strolling and shopping while gazing at the monumental Arc de Triomphe. Seine River cruises are nearby.

4. The Louvre

The Louvre and its attrations are the highlight of a visit to ParisPerhaps the most well-known and important of the world's museums, the Louvre has an incomparable collection of art (including the Mona Lisa), statuary and historic artifacts. The beautiful Tuilleries Gardens are nearby, as is the Orangerie that houses Monet's famous Water Lily paintings.

hotel in davenport

-- 13 March 2012 --

Places to visit in Paris

Eiffel Tower (Tour Eiffel)
Eiffel Tower is the symbol of Paris and likely the most recognizable landmark of the city. It was built by Gustave Eiffel for the World Exhibition of 1889 and it was never meant to be a permanent addition to the city's skyline. Initially the artists and writers of Paris expressed their strong disapproval in regards to the tower but later generations commended it. The figures are impressive (like the fact that it weights 7000 tons) but forget about them and try to enjoy the sight (you'll forget the numbers soon but you'll always remember the tower's profile on the Paris sky). Everyone wants to visit this landmark so expect the lines to be long (or arrive there early).

La Conciergerie
Located by the Seine on Ile de la Cite, La Conciergerie was originally part of the Royal Palace. It first became a prison at the end of the 14th century and today it is better known for the role it played during the French Revolution (18th century) when it housed over 4000 prisoners including Danton, Robespierre and even Marie-Antoinette. From here people (including the three mentioned above) were being sent to the guillotine. The name of the building comes from the superintendent of the palace (concierge) which was in charge of renting out shops and gathering taxes. Some highlights not to be missed include the impressive Salle des Gens d'Armes (Room of the People at Arms) a vast Gothic room that was used as a banqueting hall and Marie Antoinette's cell. Address: 1 Quai de l'Horloge.

Musee d'Orsay
Musee d'Orsay opened in 1986 in a beautiful building which served as a train station until 1960's. The museum is devoted to the period dating from 1848 to 1914 providing a bridge between the classical Louvre and the modern Centre Pompidou. The main attraction of the museum are the Impressionists with numerous paintings by Renoir, Monet, Manet (which is considered a class of its own), Pissarro, Sisley. Included here are also the post-Impressionist Cezanne, Degas and Vincent Van Gogh. I enjoyed a lot my visit here; the collection of Impressionist art is truly impressive and Musee d'Orsay is one attraction of Paris that is well worth a visit. Address: 1 Rue de Bellechase.

Musee du Louvre
The Louvre is the world's largest museum and one of the world's greatest art collections in the world. The palace stretches for about half mile between the Seine and rue de Rivoli. It was originally a fortress built by Philippe-Auguste in the 13th century. 300 years later Francois I replaced it with a Renaissance style building. Many French kings continued to add to the construction and improve it. Some of the kings used it as their residence before the court moved to Versaille. Louvre was first opened to the public in 1793 and has been used as a museum ever since. The latest addition to the building is the glass pyramid (also a museum entrance) that sits in the courtyard which was designed by I. M. Pei. The pyramid was unveiled in 1989.

The Louvre's collection is overwhelming in size and it includes paitings, drawings, sculptures, antiquities, furniture, coins etc It is impossible to see everything in one day, in fact I believe it is impossible to see everything even if you spend a few years here. Most people run to see the two ladies, Leonardo da Vinci's Mona Lisa and the statue of Venus de Milo. They are always surrounded by a crowd of people. But try to see more than that; walls are practically lined with masterpieces.

There are many entrances to the museum, not only the one through Pyramid which is always the most crowded. The museums pass card works here and helps in skipping the lines. After 3PM and on Sundays the ticket is half price.

Sacre-Coeur
When we arrived to Sacre-Coeur we were surprized to recognize the Byzantine style in the architecture of the basilica. We weren't quite expecting it, after days of seeing only Gothic architecture in most of the city's churches. That made me very curious about Sacre-Coeur's past. The French government decided to erect the basilica after France's defeat by the Prusians in 1870 to symbolize the end of the misfortunes and the return to strength of the 19th century France. The construction was started in 1875 to Paul Abadie's design. Like many other buildings in Paris, this one was controversial with people loving it and hating it with the same passion. The basilica was finally consecrated in 1919. Because of the location and size its effect is grand. The inside has beautiful mosaics.

Sainte-Chapelle
I read in my travel guide that in the Middle Ages this church was likened to a "gateway to heaven"; once I got there I could see why with my own eyes. This is one of the most beautiful churches that I've seen in my life.

It was built in 1248 by Louis IX to house what was believed to be the crown of thorns from Christ's crucifixion and fragments of the true cross. The building is actually two chapels in one. The first floor chapel which was for servants and lower members of the court is beautiful with its flying buttresses but the upper chapel is infinite more striking. To get upstairs you have to climb a dark spiral staircase. Once you enter the chapel you'll be moved by the light that inundates the room created by the 15 magnificent stained glass windows separated by the narrowest columns. This chapel was for the king and important members of the court - I'm glad that simple folk like us can marvel at it today ;-) The church is approached through the court of Palais de Justice.

holiday inn express hotels

-- 19 March 2012 --

1. Arc de Triomphe - This amazing piece of architecture is located on the Champs Elysees, which is Paris's most notable avenue. It was constructed by Napoleon to build a tribute to his "Grand Armee". Don't try crossing the street to get to this monument. Locate the underground tunnel from the Wagram exit from the Metro. The tunnel itslef is located at the Avenue de la Grande Armee side of the road circle.

2. Chateau de Versailles -

3. Musee Cognacq-Jay.

4. Musee du Louvre Place du Pyramide .

5. Centre National d'art et de Culture Georges-Pompidou .

6. Champs Elysiées -

7. Maison Victor Hugo -

vacation in orlando
jonssmith3
Paris Forums Visitor

1 Qatar Jobs .com The First Place to Find a Job in Qatar

Return to Paris Travel Forum