1 Qatar Jobs .com The First Place to Find a Job in Qatar

Getting To Know The French Imperfect Tense (Imparfait)

Getting to Know the French Imperfect Tense (Imparfait) Posted 08 November 2013
In case you’re racking your brain trying to recall your lessons in imperfect tense in English, chances are, you won’t remember it. Why? Because the imperfect tense is only common in the romance languages such as Latin, French, Italian, Romanian, Spanish, and Portuguese. In English, we use the past progressive to denote continuous action while the simple past is used to express a previous state.

In French, the imperfect or imparfait is the verb tense used to talk about past events, especially as descriptions. This is why it is often called a “descriptive past tense” since it is commonly used in giving a description to something that happened. Unlike the perfect tense which is used in events that were fully completed, the imperfect tense does not imply a beginning or ending of an action. The duration of the event being talked about was unspecified, hence, it is imperfect.

The imperfect is called such based on the Latin word imperfectus which means ‘unfinished’.

Its English counterpart would be: was ____ , was ____- ing or used to____.

WHEN AND HOW TO USE THE IMPERFECT TENSE

Here are the common uses of the imperfect tense:

To give a physical or emotional description of a past event.
Examples:

◦ She was depressed when her boyfriend left.

◦ It was raining so hard.

To talk about a past habitual occurrence or state of being.
Examples:

◦ We used to run together everyday.

◦ I used to like her a lot.

To indicate an action that was ongoing when something else took place.
Examples:

◦ I was looking at the photos when I remembered our old house.

◦ We were walking our dog when we saw the fire.

HOW TO FORM THE IMPERFECT TENSE IN FRENCH

A possible mistake would be to literally translate the English counterpart of the imperfect by using the verb être. This should not be the case for the French imperfect tense. To conjugate a verb into the imperfect, you need only change the ending of the verb.

The Imperfect Tense for -er Verbs

Use the same verb stem as the one being used for the perfect tense. This is simply the infinitive, but with the -er chopped off.
Add the correct ending to the stem.
The ending would depend on the pronoun used in the sentence.
Let’s take for example the verb donner. Chop off the -er, and add the following endings based on the pronoun:

PRONOUN
ENDING
WHEN ADDED TO THE STEM
WHAT IT MEANS
je (j') -ais je donnais I gave, I was giving, I used to give
tu -ais tu donnais you gave, you were giving, you used to give
il/elle/on -ait il/elle/on donnait he/she/one gave/was giving/used to give
nous -ions nous donnions we gave, we were giving, we used to give
vous -iez vous donniez you gave, you were giving, you used to give
ils/elles -aient ils/elles donnaient they gave, they were giving, they used to give

Important: je changes to j’ wjen used with verbs that begin with a vowel, most words that start with h, and the pronoun y.

The Imperfect Tense for -ir Verbs

Use the same verb stem as the one being used for the perfect tense. This is just the infinitive minus the -ir ending.
The ending is also dependent on the pronoun being used in the sentence.
As an example, let’s use the verb finir. Remove the -ir and add the appropriate endings.

PRONOUN
ENDING
WHEN ADDED TO THE STEM
WHAT IT MEANS
je (j') -issais je finissais I finished, I was finishing, I used to finish
tu -issais tu finissais you finished, you were finishing, you used to finish
il/elle/on -issait il/elle/on finissait he/she/one finished/was finishing/used to finish
nous -issions nous finissions we finished, we were finishing, we used to finish
vous -issiez vous finissiez you finished, you were finishing, you used to finish
ils/elles -issaient ils/elles finissaient they finished, they were finishing, they used to finish
The Imperfect Tense for -re Verbs

Use the same verb stem as the one being used for the perfect tense. To get this, use the infinitive and remove the -re ending.
The ending depends on the pronoun being used in the sentence.
We’ll use attendre as an example. Take out the -re and add the correct endings.

PRONOUN
ENDING
WHEN ADDED TO THE STEM
WHAT IT MEANS
je (j') -ais je attendais I waited, I was waiting, I used to wait
tu -ais tu attendais you waited, you were waiting, you used to wait
il/elle/on -ait il/elle/on attendait he/she/one waited/was waiting/used to wait
nous -ions nous attendions we waited, we were waiting, we used to wait
vous -iez vous attendiez you waited, you were waiting, you used to wait
ils/elles -aient ils/elles attendient they waited,they were waiting, they used to wait
Verbs with Spelling Changes

Like in other tenses, verbs that have a -cer or -ger ending have slight changes in their spelling when conjugated to the Imperfect Tense. Take note of the 1,2,3,6 pattern in the changes. Meaning, the changes occur in the first, second, and third person singular, and in the third person plural.

Some examples:

lancer which means to throw – the c becomes ç when placed before a or o.
Je lançais

tu lançais

il/ elle/on lançait

nous lancions

vous lanciez

ils/elles lançaient

manger which means to eat –the letter g is changed to ge when placed before a or o.
Je mangeais

tu mangeais

il/ elle/on mangeait

nous mangions

vous mangiez

ils/elles mangeaient

The Imperfect Tense for Irregular Verbs

Fortunately, there is only one irregular verbs for the imperfect tense, and this is the verb être. More good news, it even follows the pattern too which makes our lives super simple this time.

J’étais

tu étais

il/elle/on était

nous étions

vous étiez

ils/elles étaient

Example: J’étais heureux. (I was happy)

See? Easy peasy.

QUICK RECAP OF THE TOPIC

Before we complete this topic, let’s take a look at the most important points discussed:

For -er and -re verbs, the imperfect tense endings are -ais, -ais, -ait, -ions, -iez, -aient.
For -ir verbs, the endings are -issais, -issais, -issait, -issions, -issiez, -issaient.
For -cer and -ger endings, c becomes ç and g becomes ge except for the nous and vous forms.
talkinfrench
Paris Forums Visitor

Return to Paris General Chat