1 Qatar Jobs .com The First Place to Find a Job in Qatar

What's Possible

What's possible Posted 18 April 2009
After 10 years of school, and 1 year of high school, I am eager to try something else for just a year, before continuing on an education, which seems to last forever. I am a boy from Copenhagen, Denmark, going on 17. "Something else" could be living on my own in Paris. One of my friends, same age etc. wants to go with me.

Some call us unrealistic. I say, we're romantic frankofiles. My questions is, are we simply being unrealistic, what's possible and how could the unrealistic be made possible?

The ultimate dream is:
My friend gets a job as a bike messenger. I get a job in a cafe or shop or something. Is this possible? During financial crisis and all, is it impossible to get a job, if you speak fluent english and beginners french, is only 17 etc?
We find a little apartment, 50 square meters, which we can pay for. Is this possible?
We get visa. This should be possible, if you have job and place to live, right?

Alternatively, I have considered au pair-jobs, which I also find very appealing.

any thoughts on any of this? :)
Jonas K
Paris Forums Starter

Posted 01 May 2009
Hi Jonas,
I live in Paris and I am 28.
It is quite difficult to find a job in Paris if you are under 18. What I would suggest you is to wait until you are 18 and try and learn more French in the meantime. Employers here in Paris really appreciate it if you can speak French.
Then if you also speak Dutch and English you will certainly be able to find a job.
Good luck!
AnneIsabelle

Re: What's possible Posted 04 June 2010
Wow! When I was your age, i still wasn't thinking of moving to another city or country for that matter and start earning for myself. In my opinion i think you and your friends are just being too impulsive and way too adventurous for this one. The fact that you guys are under 18 years old is already an issue right there. I think it will be a challenge to find a job especially that you don't speak fluent French. My advice would be to stay in your hometown and continue with your studies. Maye after you graduate, you can consider the option of moving and starting a career in Paris. :mrgreen:
lsea_717
Paris forums Member

Re: What's possible Posted 04 June 2010
hi

Why not go for it?
first of all, be realistic..... 50sqm is going to cost you alot, depending on the area,
getting a job, cafes / bars/pubs are continually recruiting, particulary at the end of the academic yr, when students/staff move back home
you dont need a visa if youre danish, you're european

i would advise working and studying - why not continue your studies here and work at the same time?
ironfever
Paris Forums Visitor

Re: What's possible Posted 02 December 2010
Just be aware that life in Paris is very expensive!
Paris on Demand
Paris Forums Visitor

Re: What's possible Posted 05 December 2010
All things are possible. But Paris is a big, expensive city. The au pair option might be best. You could contact your consulate/embassy there and see if they have a job board.

I wouldn't get my hopes up for an apartment though. You might end up in some very tight circumstances, at first at least.

You might also consider trying to go to school in Paris for a bit, which is a good way to get to know the place.

Brett Tonaille
BrettTonaille
Paris Forums Starter

Re: Posted 22 January 2011
AnneIsabelle wrote:Hi Jonas,
I live in Paris and I am 28.
It is quite difficult to find a job in Paris if you are under 18. What I would suggest you is to wait until you are 18 and try and learn more French in the meantime. Employers here in Paris really appreciate it if you can speak French.
Then if you also speak Dutch and English you will certainly be able to find a job.
Good luck!

hi rexresort is the most fabulous resort in Europe.
travelcamp
Paris Forums Visitor

1 Qatar Jobs .com The First Place to Find a Job in Qatar

Return to Paris Expat Help