1 Qatar Jobs .com The First Place to Find a Job in Qatar

France's Filmmakers

France's filmmakers Posted 10 February 2006
Three French movies last week collected Oscar nominations, including the surprise hit "March of the Penguins." Moviegoers saw French films in record numbers, and last year was the first that the foreign box office take came in higher than in France itself.

The largest market for French cinema is none other than Hollywood's home turf. As the Ministry of Culture in Paris might say, there's no accounting for American taste. "March," a documentary about peregrine Empire penguins, barely registered in France but took in 16 million spectators abroad, mostly in the U.S., where it became the most-watched French film ever.

"Joyeux Noel" (Merry Christmas), about the impromptu football match along World War I trenches, and "Darwin's Nightmare," another documentary, also won Oscar nods. "Caché" (Hidden), with the stars Daniel Auteuil and past Oscar winner Juliette Binoche, "13-Tzameti," "Danny the Dog," and "The Transporter II" all found either critical or commercial success. Among the internationally big name actors born and bred in France are Mathieu Kassovitz, Jean Réno, Gérard Depardieu and not least the original Amélie Poulain, Audrey Tautou, who plays the lead female part in the coming "Da Vinci Code."

After so many dry years at home and abroad, and so much political capital spent to protect itself against all-powerful Hollywood, France is basking in its success. All it had to do was make films that moviegoers were willing to plop down good money to see.

The Wall Street Journal
Frodo
Paris Forums Visitor

Posted 10 February 2006
I have actually seen "the March of the Emperor" its a movie about pinguins. Really nice one.
I think they deserved the oscar.
StarTrek
Paris Forums Visitor

Posted 13 September 2008
I felt asleep watching this movie.
Elis
Paris Forums Frequenter

Posted 21 September 2008
Elis wrote:I felt asleep watching this movie.

Was it so uninteresting and boring? Actually, I do understand you. There is no better cinema studios than in Hollywood.
Cold_as_ice
Paris Forums Frequenter

Posted 23 September 2008
French movies are most of the time low budget productions... nothing compares to hollywood where the movies are made for the global market
Loukas
Paris Forums Frequenter

Posted 28 September 2008
Only Luc Besson made something spectacular and reborned the french movie industry, otherwise Loukas is right
Elis
Paris Forums Frequenter

1 Qatar Jobs .com The First Place to Find a Job in Qatar

Return to Paris General Chat