1 Qatar Jobs .com The First Place to Find a Job in Qatar

Paris Trip?

Paris Trip? Posted 27 January 2011
Hi, I am going on a 3 day trip to Paris next week with a group from my school.
Can anyone suggest any:

Really good cheap restaurants
Really good cheap (karaoke?)bars
Really good cheap sights...
All around Paris preferably near to the business area but they dont have to be.

Would prefer it if your source was from a previous trip and not wikipedia.

thanks
Danny
Hallatan
Paris Forums Starter

Re: Paris Trip? Posted 27 January 2011
Honestly, as long as you avoid McDonalds, you should be fine for the food bit (for example, crepes are every where and cheap)

as for sights, do one of the boat thingies...I don't remember how much they are, but it was pretty cheap and its a great way to see a lot of the city

can't help you with karaoke (shudder lol)
Beren-Erchamion
Paris Forums Starter

Walk down the rue Mouffetard and you'll find dozens of good cheap places to eat. Its in the 5th arrondissement to the east of the Pantheon.

For Karaoke try the Pub Saint-Michel at 19, quai Saint-Michel in the 5th arrondissement.

Most of the famous sights of Paris can be viewed for free. There may be a charge to, for example, go to the top of the Eiffel tower, but the sight of the tower can't be concealed. The Arc de Triomphe sits in the middle of a busy public round about. Notre Dame and Sacre Coeur are both working churchs which charge no admission.

NB: I strongly disagree with answer immediately below. Bars in France operate on a different set of rules than in English speaking countries. People sit and nurse one drink for hours rather than drink for effect. Bars therefore charge relatively high prices. This isn't a "rip off" its a different business model.
Galador
Paris Forums Starter

Sorry mate but I am from a completely different age group. However, I love Paris, and I think of it as my second home, and if I could live there, I would.
Do NOT go to central Paris to eat or to find bars etc. They will rip you off. Go to the out of the way places where you can get great food at low prices, but none of the other diners will speak a word of English. That is where you need to immerse yourself. I first went to Paris when I was 17, I am now 57, and I still go there when I can afford it. Over the years I have become bilingual. Look on other sites for more information. But just stay away from the horrible tourist places.
The rue Mouffetard is a starting place.
Or go to the banlieus and chat to the young guys there who are trying to make it in music.
MaximumBeautyDancer
Paris Forums Starter

when i went with my school to paris we went up the eiffel tower which was the most amazing experience i am terrified of height but i forced myself up and it was amazing you can see the whole of france, also i would recomend those boat rides down the river sienne they go right down past the notre dame and everything you can either sit and listen to a tour guide or go stand outside and look at the sights i dont know about restaurants or bars too much because with me being with my school all of our meals were at the hotel and the school paid for sorry x
Bregolas
Paris Forums Starter

Upon arrival in Paris, it is important that you get a map that has a detailed RER info, this will help you plan which station to take.

I haven't accessed you link so I couldn't advise you on the hostels, but I've done some searching before, and they usually include some information on the nearest RER station.

You can opt for the tourist day pass 2,3-day passes, available at major stations. This you can use for all public modes of transport such as buses, metro,etc, except taxis.

I suggest you familiarize yourself with the bus routes as well. Since you know where you want to go, plot it in the map against the bus routes and hop in and hop off the bus if you stop near the sights you want to see, this is cheap and enjoyable albeit tiring.

Make sure you get the right pass, since you could be charged a huge fine if some inspectors show up for a spot inspection of tickets and you don't have the correct pass with you.

The places you want to visit are near each other and manageable to maneuver via bus routes. Make sure to visit the sites both in day and night. The lights are amazing at the champs elysees and of course eiffel during night time.

Be safe and enjoy!
PetRayz
Paris Forums Starter

Re: Paris Trip? Posted 28 January 2011
red light district is always good.
Tar-Aldarion
Paris Forums Starter

What you could also do is take one of the hop-on/hop-off bus tour. There are a couple of companies that offer these tours for a fairly reasonable price. Try googling open tour.
Malach-Aradan
Paris Forums Starter

Mcdonald's serves cheap and larger portions of food that back here in the states. But, it is not the best French food you can find. In the Latin Quarter there are places with "Menus" These offer for about 15 euro, an appetizer, an entree, and a dessert. Crepes are probably the cheapest and you can find them anywhere.

The Arc de la Defense is a wonderful sight to see while in Paris. Also, the Champse Elysee is free. Any gardens, like the Jardin du Luxembourg and the Jardin de Tuileries are free to roam around the grounds.

If you want any more info, message me. I hope you enjoy your trip
Elendur
Paris Forums Starter

For Really Good cheap restaurants, if you like japanese food (not just sushis), you can go next to the Opera, rue Sainte Anne, where there are many good restaurants of that kind.

For French food, next to Rue de la Roquette, there is a restaurant called "Les Galopins" which will serve you very good quality plates, as well as good wines, for very reasonable prices regarding the quality (about 30€/person for a full meal in the evening, including wines and digestives).

On NO account go anywhere next to the Latin Corner for a restaurant, most of them are overpriced, understaffed, and poorly led. (about only tourists get to eat there, did the mistake once, will never do it again)

For the cheaps bars, it all depends on your music style :

- If you like Metal, Rock and the like, go to "La Frange" which is located Rue de Sofia, next to the "Barbesse Rochecouard" metro station. Beware though, the neighboroud is not very tourists friendly, but should pose no problem. (opening time 6pm-2am every day). Cheap, nice, and welcoming.
- Slightly more expensive and surrounded by lots of bars in rue de la Roquette is "Les Furieux" (the furious), one of the most successfull metal bar in Paris (as well as one of the longest lasting)

If you like jazz, to listen to it and to dance to it, you can go to "Le Caveau de la Huchette" which, for a little entrance price, will provide you with that.

As for karaoke, I'm afraid that I'm at loss, but any search motor should see to this. There are little karaoke bars in Paris... It's just not in the culture. Someone once tried to open one like in Korea or Japan, but it failed.

As for the cheap sights... So many of them ;)
- Eiffel Tower (as long as you don't go high)
- Avenue des Champs Elysées (if you resist the shopping tentations)
- Montmartre (the highest point of Paris, for beautiful pictures, and totally free)
- The Parc Monceau (15 min walking distance from the Champs Elysées), for persons with druidic likings :)
- Beaubourg (the museum itself is quite interesting to see, next to Chatelet's Metro Station) which is dedicated to Modren art. I personnaly loathe it, but the building is nice.
- For a fair price too you can make a tour on Paris' river, la Seine on a boat.
Not to quote the listless museums, cathedrals and such you only can see by walking around and keeping your eyes peeled.

Enjoy your stay in Paris, if you are interested by further or more specific informations, you can contact me.
Rian
Paris Forums Starter

A walk through the dense, meandering streets of the Latin Quarter & west of there in St. Germain.
Magor
Paris Forums Starter

its paris! live a litttle.
but if not stay as far away from tourist attractions prices go up around the eiffel tower, the louvre, and arc du triumphe bc they know you have no idea how much to pay.
SkinnyGangster
Paris Forums Starter

Re: Paris Trip? Posted 13 March 2012
Trip to Paris:-

You are planning a trip to Paris. This is a great idea. Paris is truly fantastic. You look for sightseeing, hotels, restaurants, attractions, concerts, nightlife.

Our mission is to help you with independent advice on Paris and selected services. Parisians based in Paris, we have a true interest in letting you discover the city we love in the best way.

holiday inn express hotels
jonssmith3
Paris Forums Visitor

Re: Paris Trip? Posted 14 March 2012
I was planning to go to pairs with my wife and kids.My kids are really very excited to see glimpse of Eiffel tower even i am very excited to see the Eiffel tower.I was wondering if i could come up with communication issue their as my french is not that good enough to understand but any thing to make my family feel like heaven.
edwardmoore
Paris Forums Starter

Re: Paris Trip? Posted 18 March 2012
Definitely,Paris is one of most expensive cities of the world,but there are many cheap restaurants and hotels as well.You could ask from anyone there,wherever you will stay.Or you could search online also,it would be the best option for you.

Good luck!!!

globalvisas.co.in/canada-visa-immigration.php
abroaduni
Paris Forums Starter

Re: Paris Trip? Posted 19 March 2012
hello everyone................

myself alok kumar from delhi.I want to travel in Paris travel but I have not idea about there.

plz help me
northindiatrip
Paris Forums Starter

Re: Paris Trip? Posted 23 March 2012
This is a GREAT idea, it’s amazing it took so long to implement. Through November 22, 2010, the ET web site is selling 250 tickets per day online. What’s in it for you? You don’t have to wait in the sometimes excruciatingly long lines for a ticket up the tower. Buy the ticket online (you need to know the time you will be coming), bring it to the ET and go straight to the elevator. The one caveat is that you can only buy a ticket to the second level, but trust me, that’s pretty far up there.

jonssmith3
Paris Forums Visitor

1 Qatar Jobs .com The First Place to Find a Job in Qatar

Return to Paris Travel Forum