1 Qatar Jobs .com The First Place to Find a Job in Qatar

Lupin Flour

lupin flour Posted 22 March 2012
Hi, my daughter is extremely allergic to peanuts. I have just found out lupin flour is used sometimes in France, and lupin seeds (from which lupin flour is made) are very similar to peanuts. So you can see my problem! Please can anyone help, by advising me how widespread the use of lupin flour is in France. We are travelling to Paris next week. We would greatly appreciate any info, Thank you,
Mary
Maryc1968
Paris Forums Starter

Re: lupin flour Posted 23 March 2012
In a recent study done by Royal Free Hospital, London, lupin flour have been identified as the ingredient that can cause similar allergic reactions to people who are also allergic to peanuts.

Peanuts are known to cause severe allergic symptoms in people. The symptoms of peanut allergy are inflammation of the lips and the tongue, difficulty in breathing, and choking of the throat and the patient may need emergency hospitalization to make a full recovery.

The recent study, which was published in the journal The Lancet, was based on the experience of a 25yr old woman who had the similar symptoms of anaphylaxis and was allergic to peanuts. However when her food that had caused the allergic reaction was checked for peanuts had not revealed any peanut ingredient. The researchers of the study had found the ingredient to the lupin flour. Lupin flour is made from onions is widely used in countries of Europe.

The study had opened a new field of research for scientists dealing with allergic reactions and their causes. Lupin flour allergy is still a hitherto unknown form of allergic reaction and only being reported recently.

-- 27 March 2012 --

The immediate cause of the Lancet piece was a severe anaphylactic response to eating onion rings at a restaurant. It was later learned that there was lupin flour in the batter.

"During the meal, her mouth itched and her lips and tongue started to swell. Fifteen minutes later she was having difficulty breathing, her throat had narrowed, and she felt very weak. An ambulance was called, anaphylaxis diagnosed, and she was given intramuscular adrenaline. In spite of this treatment she continued to deteriorate and during the journey to hospital required continuous oxygen and two further doses of adrenaline. On arrival, intravenous fluids, hydrocortisone, and chlorpheniramine were given, and she recovered without further complications" (Radcliffe et al. 2005).

As we read further, we learned that this was not the first recorded instance of lupin anaphylaxis as there were cases recorded in France as early as 1994.

jonssmith3
Paris Forums Visitor

Return to Paris Travel Forum