1 Qatar Jobs .com The First Place to Find a Job in Qatar

10 Days In Paris - Side Trips?

10 days in Paris - side trips? Posted 15 February 2012
Hi!

My GF and I are going to Paris in mid May. We are going for 10 days. I've never been so I am very excited!

We are toying with the idea of taking a 3-4 day trip outside of Paris through the wine regions (Rhone, specifically). One idea on the table is to take a fast train to Avignon, establish base, and then hit Arles, Lirac, Chat de Pape, etc.

The other idea on the table is to stay in Paris but to do day trips to Champagne, Giverny, Versailles (which we would probably do anyway) and just stay in PAris the whole time.

Thoughts?

Many thanks!
gumercindo
Paris Forums Starter

Re: 10 days in Paris - side trips? Posted 29 February 2012
Dijon is only an hour and forty minutes from Paris and is a great respite from the busy city. This city that was once a rich capital of art and culture has plenty to do and see and without the expensive price tags of Paris.We left Paris Wednesday morning and took the train out of Gare de Lyon straight into Dijon. The tickets were purchased the day of the trip, although we could have possibly found them a bit less expensive had we planned further in advance.

When we first started to look we found one way tickets for just over 30 euros. That makes the transport around 60, although as I stated for the day off we ended up paying 90 euros round trip per person.

hotel in davenport
jonssmith3
Paris Forums Visitor

Re: 10 days in Paris - side trips? Posted 01 March 2012
I would say start off cheap n slow is the way to go! lol... First day. Get a 'carnet' of Metro tickets which is 10 tickets for 12 Euros or so. Go to the Effiel Tower. Why? Because you have to! And then when you are done find bus 69. Yep! You are going to do the good ol '69' first day in Pariee!!!lol... For the price of the 1.70e metro ticket you will go through all the great sightseeing places, past Invalids, Hotel de ville, ride next to the Seine, Bastille etc; and end up at the cemetery Pere Lachesis. Thank Edith Piaf and Chopin for all the great music and take the Metro back to your hotel and find a nice place to eat. That's enough for the first day. Second, buy an all day pass on the Batobus water taxi and you will soon realize that every great monument from the Louvre to Notre Dame is easily accessible from the Seine. Spend all day riding the Seine and relaxing, going from site to site, and as you do secretly ask the Great Spirits of Paris Past, Present and Future what you should do next. Don't think about it too much. Just ask and wait for an answer. By the time you wake up in the morning with 8 days ahead of you, you will know what comes next!! Bon courage! L. Guillaume
L.Guillaume
Paris Forums Starter

Re: 10 days in Paris - side trips? Posted 10 March 2012
I turned 30 this year and my mom turned 50. I told her many years ago that to celebrate these milestones I was bringing her to Paris. I don’t think she believed me, but here we are going to Paris for 10 days in Mid-September. It will be myself, my husband, our 15 month old baby, my mom & her new husband.

Here is our proposed itinerary, based on a lot of guidebooks and many many nights lurking and posting on this fantastic forum. Please give me your thoughts and any suggestions you may have. I greatly value your collective opinions, knowledge and experience!!! Thanks so much in advance!

We are not allotting a lot of time for museums (1/2 day louvre, 1/2 day musee dorsay) but with a 15 month old we probably won't be able to spend a large amount of time in one place. We are flexible and can always go back to a museum if we feel we didn't see all we wanted.

Also, we are staying in a 2 bedroom/2 bath apartment in the Invalides/Rue Cler area.

hotel on davenport
jonssmith3
Paris Forums Visitor

1 Qatar Jobs .com The First Place to Find a Job in Qatar

Return to Paris Travel Forum