1 Qatar Jobs .com The First Place to Find a Job in Qatar

Best Districts For A Student To Live In Paris

Best districts for a student to live in Paris Posted 20 February 2008
Hello!! My University has an exchange program with Sorbonne University... So far I am just looking into the logistics of everything, nothing is confirmed but just trying to find out more info. So my questions are... where would be the best place for an international student to live in Paris? I would want to have something fairly cheap (fit my student budget;)), in a central location, where there are some nice restaurants, cafes, clubs around... Somewhere that would be young and fun! Also, are there any students on here currently studying at Sorbonne? I would be interested to know your impressions, advice etc.. Thanks for the help!!!
Kristy

Posted 13 September 2008
you want "cheap" in the central area? :lol:
you must be joking
Maximus
Paris Forums Frequenter

Posted 14 September 2008
Students don't live in the center districts
mixi
Paris forums Member

Posted 28 September 2008
it would be great for a student to live in the central area, especially if you, Kristy, arrived for an exchange program. There are many places that might interest you in the center. It is not cheap though. An average cost is 200 euros per week.
tulaka
Paris Forums Frequenter

Posted 28 September 2008
I'd be afraid to rent a flat alone in a foreign country
Elis
Paris Forums Frequenter

Posted 26 October 2008
To any American, Australian, Canadian, etc. people or students wondering this also - a few hints.

First - don't say "cheap". Nobody knows what this means for you. Say "800 Euros/month", etc.

Second - If you are not familiar with Paris or Parisians yet, a good place to start is Sarah Turnbull's book "Almost French", specifically chapter 18.

Good Luck :)

Posted 28 October 2008
A good book, I agree, "Almost French", can be bought here for only 13$
http://www.readinggroupguides.com/guide ... rench1.asp
Maximus
Paris Forums Frequenter

Re: Best districts for a student to live in Paris Posted 04 June 2010
Hey Kristy! This would probably be a super late reply to your post. But just for anyone who may be going through the same situation, Paris is a relatively safe city to live in. No major crimes are happening everyday, it's just like any other city; only petty crimes here and there. But the safest districts would be the single digits arrondissements as they are the closest to the center and there are a lot of restaurants and other lively activities and establishments. However, i agree with the other posts that living near or at the center area of Paris may not fit the word "cheap". :mrgreen:
lsea_717
Paris forums Member

Re: Best districts for a student to live in Paris Posted 04 June 2010
try to get a place at cite universitaire, this has to be the best place for any student staying here ;)
ironfever
Paris Forums Visitor

Re: Best districts for a student to live in Paris Posted 05 December 2010
The contradiction between wanting to live where the action is and wanting to live cheap is an old one. You will probably have to trade quality of accommodation vs location. But the metro is wonderfully efficient and really much of Paris isn't far from the center, if you're a walker.

I'd be careful about considering Paris safe if you're not used to big cities. Yes, it's rare to encounter serious crime, but I do know more than one story about American women being raped, for instance. Don't be fooled by the picturesque architecture - you need to use your street smarts.

Brett Tonaille.
BrettTonaille
Paris Forums Starter

1 Qatar Jobs .com The First Place to Find a Job in Qatar

Return to Paris Expat Help